jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What do you think about people saying "it's just a fish"??

1. finatics profile image78
    finaticsposted 7 years ago

What do you think about people saying "it's just a fish"??

I always hear about people keeping their pets in puny bowls or terrible environments, and when I mention that it's not ideal, they always shrug their shoulders and say "it's just a fish." Has anyone else heard someone say that, and what do you think of it? I think that just because they don't have paws doesn't mean they should be neglected. What's your opinion on it?

2. profile image0
    write_more7532posted 7 years ago

All life is important, I believe, and if you're gonna have a pet, treat him or her right. If you can't or won't, give it away. That's what I believe.

3. Hyphenbird profile image92
    Hyphenbirdposted 7 years ago

I believe all life deserves honor and respect. A fish, dog, cat, whatever needs room to be happy and healthy. Some people should not have pets of any sort.

4. wychic profile image90
    wychicposted 7 years ago

I hate it when people say that! Hate it, hate it, hate it. Did I mention that I dislike that particular sentiment? I have spent so many years teaching people not to kill their fish, nothing irks me worse than someone who asks my advice, hears how to properly care for them, and then says that it's too much work and "it's just a fish anyway." I suggest as politely as I can that if that's the way they feel about it, then perhaps they should give it to someone who is actually interested in taking care of a pet.

5. Puppyluv profile image73
    Puppyluvposted 7 years ago

I hate when people say "It's just a..." about any pet!  Working at the animal hospital, I hear it all the time about dogs and cats, especially from men. wink  Being an emergency hospital, we have to ask everyone that walks through the door what their preference is for CPR and if they'd want it done on their pet should it stop breathing during treatment.  The woman almost always say yes and most of the men do as well, but there are a lot of men that will say, "It's just a dog" or "It's just a cat."  Same goes for authorizing high priced treatments.   I think if you feel that way about a fish or any other animal, then DON'T have it as a pet!!!

That brings up another pet peeve of mine.  Why do people have dogs when they keep them chained up outside and never pay attention to them?  That's a whole other topic... LOL