jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Should I have my dog put to sleep am I being selfish letting her live on confuse

1. profile image47
    cantyguyposted 6 years ago

Should I have my dog put to sleep am I being selfish letting her live on confused,?

my 19 year old Lancashire healer is suffering from dementure, she still gets around, but she can;t see or hear, she wee's constantly and stares into space, her appitite seems ok but she cannot get upstairs any more, I dont know if I should have her put to sleep. her weeing is now the main problem as it is all the time and all my carpets need replacing but I love her so much

2. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

That is a tough question.  I have an old lab that will have to be put down soon.  My criteria for putting him down is this: "is he suffering?" 

My lab still has happy dog eyes, and is in no pain, although he can barely walk.  He loves going outside with the other dogs and seems to genuinely enjoy life.  One day I know this will change.

Is your dog enjoying life at all?  It doesn't sound like it.  If she is unhappy and confused and doesn't recognize you anymore, the kindest things would be to let her go and put her down.  I know it is hard. I am dreading that day myself!  But think of the dog first.

3. Sunny Barb profile image59
    Sunny Barbposted 6 years ago

As pet owners who truly love our pets, it is one of the toughest decisions we have to make.  I  think you and your pet are the best ones to answer this.  No one knows your pet better than you.  Go with your instinct.  It sounds as if your fur child is not living a quality life.  I have had to put a few of mine down and as tough as it was, I knew deep down when it was time.  You will too.

4. skribbles profile image58
    skribblesposted 6 years ago

That is a tough decision and still your decision on what to choose.

My suggestion would to put her down for yours and her sake. I think you seeing her problems is making you suffer to watch her live on.