jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How to potty train an adult yorkie.

1. profile image44
    jstellarposted 7 years ago

How to potty train an adult yorkie.

My yorkie is almost 4 years old and it starting to poop on the carpet on a regular basis. Any advice as to why or how to stop it?

2. framistan profile image58
    framistanposted 7 years ago

Small dogs are easy to train by smacking them with a paper towel tube.  It does not hurt them and makes a loud BONK noise.   The loud noise gets the dogs attention.  You tell him in a stern voice "NO... BAD DOG."  and you show him his nose close to the mess.   Finally when you see him one day do his mess OUTSIDE... then make a big deal out of it and say "GOOD DOGGY" and pet him softly.    My dog (pomeranian) now only needs to hear me say "NO" and he understands not to chew the couch.. or not to jump on visitors, etc ... and i no longer need to actually smack him with the paper tube.  Dogs are smart but it is tempting to actually smack the dog with your hand.  but that doesn't get the dogs attention and make him connect to the bad deed.  You have to be consistent EVERY time you see his mess or see him doing a mess.

3. sscott profile image69
    sscottposted 7 years ago

Have you had your dog checked by your vet for a possible health condition? Or has there been a major change in your dog's life? You must make sure that the carpet is thoroughly cleaned to remove the poop smell or your dog will continue to go potty on the carpet.

You should never hit your dog. If you catch your dog in the act of pooping on your carpet, you should say "No" in a stern voice and carry him to the appropriate spot. When he goes potty in the correct location, you should praise him to the hilt.

4. susanc01 profile image70
    susanc01posted 7 years ago

You can always try the crate method, even in an adult. Dogs wont poo or pee where they have to sleep, so leaving the dog in the crate until he is trained (of course, exercise him, take him out and so on) might help!!

working