Would you recommend using shredded paper for rabbit, hamster, or guinea pig bedd

1. KevinTimothy profile image82
    KevinTimothyposted 7 years ago

Would you recommend using shredded paper for rabbit, hamster, or guinea pig bedding?

I am referring to the paper that's gone through an office paper shredding machine

2. LindenLC86 profile image56
    LindenLC86posted 7 years ago

I wouldn't recommend it. While it can be a great cheap source of bedding, printer paper and newspaper aren't very absorbant. I would stick to the packaged bedding you find in pet stores or grocery stores. It is a bit more costly, but it will save your pet from health problems. A compromise is to put a layer of shredded paper down before you add the packaged bedding. This way what you buy goes a bit further and you save some money.

3. profile image47
    Kayte22posted 7 years ago

I have tried it, I thought I was being thrifty and could save a few dollars.
    Well first off it made a much bigger mess, second it did not absorb and last it did not cover the odor of the rabbit smell.
    Same with a cat, the paper shredd makes a much bigger mess even if mixed with regular cat litter. It sticks to their feet and gets all over.
    NOW, with a goat, it still does not absorb but they love to eat it. >? Mine thought it was a snack.

working