This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Top Tips On How To Train Your Dog?

1. Shil1978 profile image92
    Shil1978posted 6 years ago

Top Tips On How To Train Your Dog?

2. Bukarella profile image83
    Bukarellaposted 6 years ago

Find the bait. Start by figuring out what your dog's favorite treat is: consider hotdog, cheese sticks, raw chicken, or especially made training treats you can buy at pet stores. This will increase motivation and will make your job easier.

Be consistent. If you allow unwanted behavior sometimes and not at other times, it will confuse your dog. If you NEVER allow a particular behavior, your dog will learn much faster.

Start easy. Begin your training with little distractions, and once your dog can reliably perform what you are trying to teach him/her, move to a different setting: a street, a parking lot, pet store, etc.

If you are trying to break a bad habit, understand why your dog is doing what she's doing. Is it because she doesn't get enough exercise and is bored? Is it because she is teething? Is it because she might be sick? Be sure to address the cause, not just the symptom.

If you are trying to teach a command, research clicker training: good behavior is marked with a click and a treat. I was skeptical when I first heard about it, but I am very happy that I gave it a chance. Our Rottweiler thrives on it.

Sign up for class. Even trainers who have dogs with titles in the world of obedience competitions sign their dogs up for classes. If you have a working breed pup (like I do), it's non negotiable.

If what you are doing is not working, ask a professional for help.

3. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image58
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 6 years ago

Positive reinforcement training, specifically clicker training - no aversives!

I contributed to a book called Top Tips published by TFH Publications in 2010, and maintain a Facebook page where you can get lots of good information: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Canine-C … 7614856976

I guess if I were to give you ONE top tip, I would say BE VERY CAREFUL of what you read on the internet - there is LOTS of bad advice out there!

4. alexadry profile image96
    alexadryposted 6 years ago

Eager to start training your dog? Learn what guidelines and tips are essential to make you succeed! read more

working