jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do you have advice on how to give a dog eyedrops?

1. Truckstop Sally profile image61
    Truckstop Sallyposted 6 years ago

Do you have advice on how to give a dog eyedrops?

My woman's best friend has been diagnosed with a corneal tumor . . . and I am not good with ay kind of medication.

2. Jlbowden profile image91
    Jlbowdenposted 6 years ago

I have a pet Bijon who on ocassion suffers from eye allergies. I usually pull her eye up and back towards one corner.  Than I use Visine A allergy eyedrops and go ahead and squeeze two drops into one eye, than repeat the same for the other eye.  I than take a cotton ball and blot the eye gently or it can air dry. So you can try placing eye medication in your best friends dogs eye, utilizing the method I just mentioned using Visine as an example. Most likely the corneal eye drops will also be in liquid form as well and should have to be refrigerated while not being used.  Hope this helps you out somewhat with your question.  Good luck.

3. AC Pawelczyk profile image60
    AC Pawelczykposted 6 years ago

This is sneaky, but totally necessary in some cases.  I have a cattle-mix who is very high energy and refuses to sit still...

I wait until he's sleeping and place the drops in the corner of his eye and then wake him up.  When he opens his eye, the drops go in (I do my own and my children's from the corner, too).  Later, when he dozes off again I do the same thing.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your woman's best friend smile

4. BrantleyFoster profile image59
    BrantleyFosterposted 6 years ago

With my own dogs (that I trust not to bite my face off), I crouch down facing them and grab their muzzles with my left hand (off hand).  Then while holding the drops with my thumb and index finger of my right hand, I push open the upper eyelid slightly with my middle and ring fingers of the same hand.  The drops then go into the eye at the medial canthus (corner of the eye closest to the nose).

For a dog that I don't know or don't trust, I would either back them into a corner, muzzle them, and repeat the above process, or I would approach them from behind and immobilized them with my knees on either side of the chest.  Then proceed as above.

Either way takes practice and patience, but I've done quite a lot of eyedrops in my day and have had good results with these methods.

Good luck!