jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

My cat has a redish eye and it's sort of swollen can I use human eye drops?

1. profile image46
    gabriellerousseauposted 6 years ago

My cat has a redish eye and it's sort of swollen can I use human eye drops?

2. NMLady profile image60
    NMLadyposted 6 years ago

make sure it isn't a tooth/dental problem. Everytime one of our kitties has an eye problem it turns out to be from a tooth problem

3. Lucky Cats profile image80
    Lucky Catsposted 6 years ago

My first impulse is to say 'yes' because other topical ointments, etc. can be used on humans and animals but....I would FIRST strongly urge you to call a Veterinarian before doing so.   Some ingredients are 'ok' while others are not and not all eye drop or ointment formulae are the same....Please call a veterinarian or search it online...better to be safe than sorry. 

Also, your kittie's eye problems might be symptomatic of another issue or illness.  It's best to have a Veterinarian check your kitty....there are several viral infections as well as systemic maladies circulating at present....again; better to be certain in order not to risk your cat's overall health.

Good luck!

4. tlmcgaa70 profile image77
    tlmcgaa70posted 6 years ago

you can use triple anti-biotic  like Neosporin...it is the same as the anti biotic ointment the vet would give...but i would definitely have a vet look at the eye...if there is swelling then you may be looking at glaucoma...this causes great pain like migraines for the cat and if not treated the eye will have to be removed. i learned this the hard way 11 yrs ago when i first began rescuing cats.