jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why are salt water aquariums so difficult to keep healthy? Is there a trick?

1. K9keystrokes profile image90
    K9keystrokesposted 6 years ago

Why are salt water aquariums so difficult to keep healthy? Is there a trick?

2. omega-1 profile image59
    omega-1posted 6 years ago

They're not as difficult as some people say, however they present a slightly higher challenge for the uninitiated for a few reasons ;
    -Saltwater fish tend to cost more
    -Saltwater fish are a bit less forgiving on mistakes, so they require more regular monitoring
    -A saltwater aquarium requires a bit more equipment and products.

So for a first fish tank, it is suggested to go for the simpler solution of a freshwater setup.

After you've become familiar with your aquarium, you can start a saltwater tank with little difficulty.

3. Honest Reality profile image61
    Honest Realityposted 6 years ago

I had a 275 gal saltwater aquarium, and it was easier then any freshwater one I ever had. I made sure I keep an accurate amount of salt in it, maybe that was why. Or if I started to see any algae forming I would clean it. I also replaced filter floss regularly. I hope something there helps.

4. Volitans profile image80
    Volitansposted 5 years ago

Saltwater aquariums really aren't that difficult to keep healthy. Rather, they just require much more regular attention than freshwater aquariums do.

The biggest trick to keeping a saltwater aquarium healthy is regular water changes. You should replace a good chunk of your water every week; I do a weekly 10% water change. Regular water changes flush out the toxins your filtration can't handle and replace the trace nutrients that your livestock use.

working