jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What is the coolest animal to visit your yard?

1. StephanieBCrosby profile image85
    StephanieBCrosbyposted 6 years ago

What is the coolest animal to visit your yard?

Last summer a Cooper's hawk visited our yard.

A few days ago a red tailed hawk was in our back yard. My kids said, "bird" and I did not pay it much mind because we have a few feeders in the yard to attract birds in our area. Finally I looked in their direction and the hawk was perfectly camouflaged with the fallen leaves. A minute later it finally flew off and had what looked like a possum in it talons. 

This same week, a fox ran from our yard across the street in the early a.m.

The crazy thing is we do not live in the country and are situated between a highway and a creek.

2. c1234rystal profile image60
    c1234rystalposted 6 years ago

A huge bird with shiny black feathers landed in my grandmother's lawn one day. It must've made a pretty big impression on me since I still remember it and I was only around 4 years old. We even have pictures of it and my grandmother says that the wing span must have been at least 6 feet. Unfortunately we don't know what species it was.

3. stylezink profile image79
    stylezinkposted 6 years ago

I had a really pretty turtle cross through my yard one day. It had the prettiest shell. I don't care for turtles and usually pay them no attention. But I looked close at this one it had a huge humped shell and perfect markings on the shell. Like on you would see a drawing of.  Unfortunately we live on a busy street once he made it through my yard he wasn't lucky and got struck by a car.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

During the winter, we have a moose that visits our yard.  A couple of times, she came with her calf.  Once they were eating a juniper bush right next to a window, so we got a great close up look at her.

We've had bears as I have seen their droppings, and our huge trash dumpster turned over, but have not run into one--thankfully, although the neighbors have.

5. onegoodwoman profile image76
    onegoodwomanposted 6 years ago

Where ever I go, I choose to live in a rural setting.

I have seen a variety of fowl, deer, wild dogs..........

The most impressive animal, was a mountian lion............

She was  graceful,  agile, slithe, powerful,  in command......... a force of nature.....................a VICTOR of  her areana............she was there to tear apart, the friend of my children, a loyal cocker spaniel..................who proved to have no real defense........

The cat was  impressive, majestic, she inspired awe...

I shot her first, then the torn up little dog..............that had been the family pet

It was the single hardest day, that I stood in the judgement of my daughters..........

6. magodis profile image69
    magodisposted 6 years ago

An Elephant from the nearest natural forest!

7. Just Ask Susan profile image90
    Just Ask Susanposted 6 years ago

I had a great grey owl swoop down onto my porch one day. It really took me by surprise and I only wish I'd had a camera close by. This owl was huge.

8. moonfairy profile image79
    moonfairyposted 6 years ago

I live in the Northeast and in the summer, for just a few weeks, we are visited by indigo buntings. They are the most beautiful color blue that I've ever seen...they shimmer in the sunlight!