jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

How to Prevent a Pug from Getting (Too) Fat

1. livelonger profile image92
    livelongerposted 6 years ago

How to Prevent a Pug from Getting (Too) Fat

Pugs seem genetically inclined to get fat, but I've seen some relatively thin and athletic ones. What kind of diet and exercise habits keep pugs lean and fit?

2. jandee profile image59
    jandeeposted 6 years ago

Half the food and four times the excercise should do it,then if not already in one,join a Breed club

3. lilian1 profile image60
    lilian1posted 6 years ago

I have a pug so I know how easily they can put on weight mine did due to eating between meal-times my vet told me to cut his food rations ( I agree with jandee here) and regular exercise and it has worked they tend to rather like food any food so you have to be firm and just give them less carrying too much weight is not good ....

4. wavegirl22 profile image43
    wavegirl22posted 6 years ago

We have 2 pugs. Princess Ivory and Bruno so I must say I had quite a little giggle when i read this question, for just yesterday i was thinking we need to do something about Princess Ivory. She is as wide as she is long. She is blind and she pretty much does nothing but sleep all day. So yesterday as it was so gorgeous out I decided to walk her a little. And just as I turn my back she was off and found some of the night before s dog dinner outside. And there she was chomping away! Poor dog was in her glory. RIght after she went back to the bathroom and slept the day away. Im letting this sleeping dog lie!

5. heididoghyde profile image61
    heididoghydeposted 6 years ago

A solution is to use a low fat dog food diet. A vet can prescribe the diet or you can buy a low fat commercial diet from a pet store, such as, Petsmart, Petco, or Pet Supply Plus. Also exercise such as daily walks of 10-20 minutes is adaquate.

6. Cat R profile image77
    Cat Rposted 6 years ago

Proper diet and exercise! Treats, human food and especially sweets have no place in a dog's diet unless they are used (except the sweets) in small measures. Every dog requires and deserves to have exercise and a chance to play with his/her 'pack' to learn and teach important social skills and ...have fun!

7. Linda Bliss profile image92
    Linda Blissposted 6 years ago

I don't own a pug but I regularly meet a couple of lean looking ones in our local park   - all of which are allowed to run off lead and play with other dogs like my own. They get heaps of exercise this way and seem to have lots of fun too!

8. MartyCT profile image57
    MartyCTposted 6 years ago

You should just feed your pug according to its weight and age, consult your vet if you need to, but the food we have for our dog comes with a measurement guide. 

Also, exercise is key.  Walk your dog and train it before each meal, this gives it the sense that it is earning its meal.  Walk your dog 3 times a day, play with it in the garden or living room and your dog should be nice and lean.

working