Any specific instructions for caring for a horse?

1. profile image47
    dub-duhposted 6 years ago

Any specific instructions for caring for a horse?

My husband and I are buying 5 acres and then we are going to get a couple horses.  I have been researching how to care for a horse and I used to have a horse as a teenager but that was so long ago as I am now 37.  I am a little nervous.  Am I over thinking this or will this be something I can pick up easier than I think?  We are sure we want to do this, I have been waiting for years.  I want to clip my horse, is this easy enough to learn to do?  Any tips in any areas of horse care?

2. DailyDrive profile image58
    DailyDriveposted 6 years ago

Thebest advice anyone could give you is to find a reputable trainer in the area. They will be able to help you become familiar with the requirements and needs the horses would have, how to handle them, and they can help you select the best horses for you and your husband. Do not go into horse ownership alone, or it can become dangerous and difficult. Having said that, there is nothing better. Find a trainer. Invest the money now and ownership will be much more rewarding.

3. jenniferrpovey profile image90
    jenniferrpoveyposted 6 years ago

I have several hubs you might find useful if you check my profile.

I'd particularly recommend checking out 'Preparing your property to keep a horse at home', 'Common horse ailments', 'More common ailments' and 'Preventing barn fires - a quick guide'.