jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

What dogs have the least health problems and live the longest?

1. rmcrayne profile image97
    rmcrayneposted 6 years ago

What dogs have the least health problems and live the longest?

Which dog breeds are most likely to live long, healthy lives?

2. tillsontitan profile image87
    tillsontitanposted 6 years ago

Mutts!  Probably now called mix breeds.  I have had mutts and purebreds and by far mutts have less health problems.  Not sure about who lives longer in all actuality but I do know they have less health problems.

3. jenniferrpovey profile image91
    jenniferrpoveyposted 6 years ago

As a general rule, if you want your dog to live longer, get a smaller dog. Avoid the giant breeds, which often only make it to 9-10. Great Danes are notorious for dying young.

Consider any kind of terrier, pure or cross-bred.

Dachshunds are notorious for living a long time, but also for getting back problems related to their form of dwarfism. Corgis are also long-lived (and have a similar form of dwarfism, so there may be a connection there).

Toy breeds can also live for a very long time, but don't touch 'teacup' dogs...those are often bred with no regard for anything but size and generally have health issues.

4. anchoraly profile image59
    anchoralyposted 6 years ago

The terrier category is notoriously the most durable of all breed categories. They have the fire inside, and the hearty bodies on the outside. Any dog over 50 pounds will typically have more potential health complications than a dog under 50 pounds.
    Ive known Jack Russels' up to 19 years old. Every breed has their own collective of health cautions, so I highly recommend you research the breed you choose well before you select one.

5. transcriptioncity profile image61
    transcriptioncityposted 6 years ago

Mongrels or cross breeds live for the longest and have the least health problems.

6. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 6 years ago

The less common breeds because they have not been overbred, reducing the gene pool which increases the likelihood of transmission of genetically predisposed conditions.

7. connorj profile image76
    connorjposted 5 years ago

I would have to conclude the Belgian Malinois breed.

8. afriqnet profile image52
    afriqnetposted 5 years ago

My opinion is that miniature breeds will certainly live longer than giant breeds.
    Dr Joe

9. profile image0
    Starmom41posted 5 years ago

purebreds generally tend to have more health problems than mixed-breeds.