jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How (if at all) can you train a cat?

1. rickzimmerman profile image81
    rickzimmermanposted 6 years ago

How (if at all) can you train a cat?

Treats? Discipline? Disdain? Constant affection? Ignore it?

2. Billrrrr profile image83
    Billrrrrposted 6 years ago

Hi Rick.  You asked: "How (if at all) can you train a cat?" 

Your question shows that you have never had a cat.  You seem to be implying that a cat is not intelligent enough to train.  If you do end up with a cat (and I think I hope you don't) you will find that YOU WILL NOT TRAIN THE CAT, the cat will train you.

3. rickzimmerman profile image81
    rickzimmermanposted 6 years ago

Actually, Bilrrrr, I have had quite a few cats, and have two Devon Rex cats now. Devon Rex are much more like puppies than cats. They are very intelligent, come when called, will fetch toys, and are constant shadows, moving in tandem with family members. They can be trained through care and attention and incentives (treats, hugs, play, a cuddler under a warm lamp, etc.) But there's truth in what you say; often cats train us. You might enjoy my hubs on Devon Rex and on Life as a Cat. My question was to prompt other people's experiences.

4. JamaGenee profile image84
    JamaGeneeposted 6 years ago

Rick, our experience with the Devon Rexes aside, I ditto Billrrrr's answer.  Overall, cats can't be trained, they train us.  As much as THEY need US, that is, which mostly they don't.  If my Siamese could've operated the can opener and scratched himself in that place between the ears, he would've had NO use for me whatsoever. And we humans think we're the superior species.  Ha!

5. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 6 years ago

Yes, with clicker training. Clicker training can be used to train any animal - cats, horses, rats, rabbits, sheep...even octopuses, if you so desire! I was required to train another species in addition to my dog when enrolled in the Karen Pryor Academy and so trained by cat. My new cat is young and energetic, a perfect candidate for training and I plan to start soon!

working