jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Have you ever taught or trained a cat to do something?

1. buckleupdorothy profile image82
    buckleupdorothyposted 5 years ago

Have you ever taught or trained a cat to do something?

People often say that cats cannot be taught anything or trained in any way. I disagree, and would love to hear any stories from cat owners about successful or semi-successful adventures in cat-training.

2. TheLifeExperiment profile image60
    TheLifeExperimentposted 5 years ago

My cat has a habit of jumping up on the kitchen counter, so I trained him to jump down. I also taught him how to fetch...he's more dog than cat tongue

3. Ann Lee profile image70
    Ann Leeposted 5 years ago

I taught 2 of my cats to stay OFF my kitchen table and also taught them to meow and scratch at the kitchen door to get onto the porch where there litter box was.

4. Mmargie1966 profile image96
    Mmargie1966posted 5 years ago

I have taught my cats several things.  My female tries to open windows, move furniture and turn on the water faucet by herself.

I have written two hubs about training cats.  One is about nail caps and the other about potty training on the human toilet.  Check them out!

5. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

Oh yes, I had to train another species when I went through the Karen Pryor Academy and I trained my cat. Cats are very intelligent and very trainable if you understand how animals learn. See my hub on clicker training: http://dubuquedogtrainer.hubpages.com/h … ingfordogs

Now I am training my new cat - my old cat has since passed on.

6. Cat Wisdom profile image60
    Cat Wisdomposted 5 years ago

I trained my cat Skittles to sit and shake paw to get a treat.  When I hold my hand with my fingers straight out and pinched together like making a duck or for a sock puppet, he knows that is the hand signal and with sit and raise his paw so that I can shake it and he can get a treat.

1. becomingthirty profile image61
      becomingthirtyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hi! We also trained our cat to sit and shake both paws before he gets his meal! It's very cute. He can also walk on a lead which we trained him to do. He's very smart but it takes a lot of hard work and persistence! big_smile

2. AnnaCia profile image84
      AnnaCiaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

My cat does that too.  Also, I do not need a dog to let me know when dad is coming homeā€¦He lets me know by meawing and standing at the door.

working