Are some dog and cat breeds more likely to get along than others?

1. Linda Bliss profile image91
    Linda Blissposted 6 years ago

Are some dog and cat breeds more likely to get along than others?

In other words if you already have a dog, what cat breeds are more likely to get along with it and vice versa... Or is a cat always a cat to all dogs? yikes)

2. WD Curry 111 profile image60
    WD Curry 111posted 6 years ago

I know about this. If I were not so ignorant of this program and busy, I would show you some pictures. I think there is a contest, and I could write a hub, but I am busy in the real world, and have obligations that I am ignoring as we speak.

It depends on factors and individuals, not breed. There is a general rule . . . mutts attract. Example: Republicans hate Obama. My family line is a tangle. I am a registered Independent. I don't care for either party or their power machines. On a personal level, I like Pres. Obama and his personality. So what if he bowed. It was bad advice from his advisers. At least the little people overseas liked it. Everyone thought GW Bush was an idiot in his flight suit. That too was bad advice, "Here George, wear this and be a hero."

Anyway, animals are the same. Mutts aren't arrogant about their breed. Mits are different, but that is another hub.

The pet owner, the age and temperament of the pets all factor in. If you own a young Boxer, Dalmatian, Jack Russel, or Pit Bull, spare the cat. There are exceptions, but the cat will always be damp. Puppies and kittens mix well. You can add ducks, chickens, parrots, ferrets, Guinea pigs, and more to the list. If the animals are young enough they, "imprint" on each other as being in the same brood. Breed is no longer a factor.  Once either species has grown up with the other, they are cool from then on.

I would not experiment with full grown animals, unless they have been raised around another species, and their good friend has bit the dust. The replacement will be the only one who needs to adjust. In that case, do not introduce a full grown animal. It will be like putting a Democrat or Republican in with an Independent. The independent will be open to the new arrangement, but the others will be locked in endless contention.

3. lisasuniquevoice profile image76
    lisasuniquevoiceposted 6 years ago

My four-year-old Ragdoll cat is great with dogs and other cats.Look up the breed. You'll see that they mention that this breed is the most like a dog in terms of how they hang around with you. They have great personalities. I actually have two of them. I have pictures of them on my hub profile. They're really cute.