jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What is the best way to attract pretty birds to your back yard?

1. GA Anderson profile image81
    GA Andersonposted 6 years ago

What is the best way to attract pretty birds to your back yard?

2. Rochelle Frank profile image95
    Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

A birdbath can attract lots of birds-- especially in dry climates-- they come to bathe and drink. (I know someone who used an old satellite dish to make a nice bathtub.)
    Otherwise.  Ask your local pet or feedstore what kinds of birds are in your area and what they eat.  Your local nursery might also recommend plants which attract birds.

3. Bronterae profile image59
    Bronteraeposted 6 years ago

Hi GA, when all my Marigolds go to seed, I get families who stay for months in late winter to early spring.  We get very little frost here.  If you have snow/ice, save the seed in a dry place til spring and then spread it around, they love it.  I think they're sparrows with cool black and white stripes on their head and brown bodies.  Not the prettiest but interesting.  Occasionally, we get pretty chartruse yellow finches too. Some years are better than others.  You definitely need a place for fresh water, a big heavy flat bowl works fine.  A tree is usually their favorite place if you have space.

4. Caveman Etris profile image74
    Caveman Etrisposted 6 years ago

You want to have these three things in your yard to attract and watch birds.
      Having various flowering plants and trees that birds feed on or nest in will always bring feathered friends to the yard and also help butterflies as well. What bird species are in your area is how you determine the types of flowers you want to grow. Trees will always attract birds and it is good to have them on your property anyway.  Gold Finches love the Black-eyed Susan flowers in my yard and birds nest in the Pear tree every year. The Maple tree gets a lot of activity as well.
      Second, having bird feeders in the yard is a guaranteed way of seeing at least some birds on a regular basis, once they know the feeder is there. There are different feeders and various types of bird seed. I use a mix, sunflowers seeds and a hanging suet feeder in this yard. Woodpeckers are often seen on the suet feeder hanging from the Maple tree.
    The third thing you need is one or more birdbaths. They come in all sizes and designs. There are the cheap but durable plastic standing birdbaths that have the removable top for easy cleaning, cement, ceramic and even metal types as well. I have the plastic, a standing cement and large ground cement birdbaths in different locations. The larger one on the ground has a filter pump in it. This way you don't have to clean it out all the time. It is heavy, so the filter is a good idea and this is the birdbath in my yard that gets the most attention. Water gardens are also nice to have and birds will be seen drinking from it if you have one. It is always good to have bushes in the yard as well and other flowering plants. Your yard can be a beautiful habitat for local wildlife and all of this also increases the value of your property