jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)

What are the best plants to attract butterflies?

1. Faith Reaper profile image87
    Faith Reaperposted 4 years ago

What are the best plants to attract butterflies?

I would love to have my whole yard, or at least my backyard, full of plants/bushes that attract butterflies for my grandchildren's enjoyment, and mine, when they are visiting.  What are the best butterfly attracting plants for the south?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8605658_f260.jpg

2. bethperry profile image92
    bethperryposted 4 years ago

I'm in TN and butterflies frequent my garden especially by the allure of Butterfly Bushes, Lilac, 5 O'Clocks and Black -Eyed Susans. My grandmother had a lot of success with Sweet Williams, too.

Faith Reaperposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Hi bethperry, Thank you so much for answering. I will give all of those a try!

2. bethperry profile image92
      bethperryposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Cool smile And all of them -except the Black-Eyed Susans- have a lovely fragrance.

3. Faith Reaper profile image87

Oh, great!  That is even better for sure.  Thank you again.

3. Beth 53 profile image60
    Beth 53posted 4 years ago

There are two great bushes for butterflies and bees. One is Buddleiha(butterfly bush), the other is Abelia, it blooms from spring to fall, great for putting near orchards. Also a great plant is asclepia tuberosa(butterfly weed).Hybiscus is another good one because it's alwys in bloom.

Hi Beth 53, thank you so much for answering!  Yes, I want to plant as many as possible and a great variety if possible to attract tons of butterflies.  Happy New Year!

2. Beth 53 profile image60
      Beth 53posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I forgot another good one, it's lantana.Great for bees, butterflies and hummingbirds! Happy New Year to you!

3. Faith Reaper profile image87

Oh, yes, lantana!  I love lantana.  Thank you for another recommendation.  Blessings

working