jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What is the best dog bread for homes with children?

1. T. R. Brown profile image75
    T. R. Brownposted 6 years ago

What is the best dog bread for homes with children?

2. profile image52
    anuptaruposted 6 years ago

If you just want a dog which will be a companion for your children then you can select from any of the companion breeds available. My personal favorite will be the Beagle. If you want some one which will not only be a companion but will guard your children too then you should opt for a Guard dog. My personal favorite will be the Labrador.

3. msjapples profile image59
    msjapplesposted 6 years ago

My favorite is the Collie. Collies are a very gentle and predictable breed, and easy to train. They get along great with children and love to please their owners and protect their family.

4. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 6 years ago

Golden Retrievers are generally good family dogs.

5. jenniferrpovey profile image91
    jenniferrpoveyposted 6 years ago

What kind of dog is best for a family with younger children? Are there any breeds you should not get? Here are a few selected recommendations. read more

6. teaches12345 profile image94
    teaches12345posted 6 years ago

I have had many dogs over the years and I have found the labradors and collies to be the most benign and child-friendly.  However, due to their size care must be taken to allow the dog to know the child and to train it around the child.  They can be pretty active and cause some accidental harm if they are not taught to gently play with baby.  Smaller size dog matches would be beagles and possibly schnauzers. Both are pretty good with children and play well with them.

7. landscapeartist profile image76
    landscapeartistposted 6 years ago

I have had the priveledge to have been around many different breeds of dog.  I have found over the years that the Labrador Retriever is the most friendliest, playful, and protector to have around childen.
    My lab lets the kids climb all over him and he has never complained once.  They pull on his tail and his ears and he just lays there.  We also have a lab puppy that bites him all over and he sits there and lts her do it.

8. T. R. Brown profile image75
    T. R. Brownposted 6 years ago

Thanks very much everyone!  I enjoy hearing everyone's opinions, especially the "Why."

working