jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How can I prevent my dog from getting arthritis?

1. Amber Allen profile image65
    Amber Allenposted 6 years ago

How can I prevent my dog from getting arthritis?

2. mischeviousme profile image59
    mischeviousmeposted 6 years ago

you can't, not if the dog is predisposed. You can prolong the diagnosis, but only for a short while.

3. LifeStylePets profile image58
    LifeStylePetsposted 6 years ago

michievousme is right. Making sure your dog is generally healthy - not overweight - will minimize stress on your dog's joints. Plenty of exercise will keep muscles strong so they can support the skeletal structure. These things can make your dog's life more comfortable for a longer while but just like with humans, so far there is no cure for arthritis.

4. JayeWisdom profile image91
    JayeWisdomposted 6 years ago

If your dog doesn't already have arthritis, do the following as preventive measures:

1.  Give your dog regular exercise throughout his life, which lubricates the joints.
    2.  Have your vet recommend healthy nutritious food and don't let the dog become overweight.
    3.  Raise your dog's food bowl so his neck isn't down while he eats. (It should only be a couple of inches below the dog's neck for comfort and to prevent bone problems.)
    4.  Start a glucosamine and chondroitin supplement for dogs when your dog is an adult, especially in a breed that is predisposed to have arthritis. You can get liquid or pill forms without a prescription, but, again, be guided by your vet's recommendation.

If your dog already has arthritis, these same tips can help reduce pain. Glucosamine and chondroitin help humans and canines with pain. Both will suffer more from arthritis if obese. As for exercise, keep it light, but keep your dog getting exercise to prevent stiffness. A dog with severe arthritis may need a ramp and to be lifted to a standing position after a nap.

5. jenniferrpovey profile image92
    jenniferrpoveyposted 6 years ago

Is your older dog starting to get a little stiff? Many dogs, like many humans, get arthritis in their old age. There are things you can do to help prevent, delay and manage this unpleasant and painful condition. read more

6. profile image55
    consentinoposted 6 years ago

I don't really think you can prevent arthritis in your dog.  I have read on several occasions that putting your pet in an orthopedic bed at a young age,can help slow down the on-set of arthritis.  I also would be sure he/she gets a lot of exercise to keep his/her joints healthy and not a lot of jumping.

www.petsareagift.com

working