jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Do you think loving pets as children is weird?

1. Sadie14 profile image88
    Sadie14posted 5 years ago

Do you think loving pets as children is weird?

I love my dog a lot but do some people go to far like dressing their animals in different outfits every day?

2. JKenny profile image93
    JKennyposted 5 years ago

I think its okay to love your pet in the same way you love a child, I certainly love my dog, but its important to remember that the dog is not a child, and I think dressing them up and treating them like people is a bit too far. I've even heard of some people who actually have weddings for their dogs, as if the dog actually understands what's going on, its crazy.

3. Dragonrain profile image85
    Dragonrainposted 5 years ago

I love my pets, yes.  I don't think loving pets with the same intensity that you would love a child is weird or wrong.

However, I do think that it's important to remember that our pets are not humans.  We should love them for who and what they are, and not try to treat them like they are human children.

I am fully aware that my dog is a dog, and not a human.  I don't love him any less because of his species, but it means that I show my love for him in different ways than I would a human child.

4. landscapeartist profile image77
    landscapeartistposted 5 years ago

Loving your pet as if they were your own children is definitely not weird.  In fact, it is the ultimate best way to show your pet that you love them.  They do not feel that type of loyalty or love towards another animal as they do towards us.  So, why shouldn't we feel the same way?  They trust us with their lives, and they protect us and love us in return. They draw you in,  and help heal hurt and emotional trauma. 
    Every pet that I have ever owned has been more of a child to me than a pet.

5. Helen Loye profile image59
    Helen Loyeposted 5 years ago

I don't think it is weird.  Pets are not self sufficient, they need humans to care for them and teach them.  It is extremely easy to get highly attached to a pet and do love them.  Dressing them up is a matter of opinion.  I have, at times, put a sweater on my dog...primarily because it was winter and I was walking her.  I have heard some veterinarians say that dressing a pet for the weather conditions, in the case of rain or snow, with shoes and a jacket would be beneficial to the pets health.   I know lots of puppy parents go all out with outfits and bows and that is not something I do, but a dog who is dressed up very early will adapt to it.

I realize pets are not children, but as much as we humans dote on them, do for them and teach them, it is easy to love them...though I would never put my pet above the needs of a child.

6. inevitablesecrets profile image75
    inevitablesecretsposted 5 years ago

It depends on how far you go.  My dog is spoiled, she sleeps on the bed, she is never outside alone for more than the time it takes to go to the bathroom because she doesn't like it, she has a sweater and wears it when it is cold.  But when it comes down to it she is a dog. 

I know a woman who treats and calls her dog her baby and gets seriously offended if you call it a dog.  It eats and the table and wears pajamas to bed, and apparently it doesn't like sports so her husband can't watch them if the dog wants to be in the room, then it gets to watch cartoons or something child appropriate without and cussing or violence.

7. lburmaster profile image84
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

No. I used to love my pets. Every single one of them before they all died. I love the one that I have now as well. A turtle named Ralph smile It is healthy and helps children become self-dependent in emotions. At least, I believe that.

8. Peanutritious profile image61
    Peanutritiousposted 5 years ago

No! I much prefer animals to children and the planet is over populated anyway! I don't like people dressing animals up though. People who do that seem rather fickle to me and would probably get bored with their pet and replace it with a more fashionable one in a few months. Animals are loyal and affectionate, what's not to love!

9. andrew savage profile image60
    andrew savageposted 5 years ago

While I may not be the expert as I am not a psychologist, I recommend couselling as loving a beast like that of a human child is a strange behaviorism for a sapien to have.