jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What Does Responsible Dog Ownership Involve?

1. Linda Bliss profile image91
    Linda Blissposted 6 years ago

What Does Responsible Dog Ownership Involve?

This is a phrase I keep hearing in the media more often these days. I'm sure this has different meanings to each and every one of us dog owners - but what would you say defines a responsible dog owner? What makes their dogs happier, and safer? Are there any steps we could all take to become more responsible as dog owners?

2. creativebutterfly profile image58
    creativebutterflyposted 6 years ago

i really like the way Cesar Milan handles dogs.  From the psychology aspect and not the training aspect.  You learn so much about your dog doing it this way, you also learn about yourself.

3. peeples profile image95
    peeplesposted 6 years ago

A responsible owner keeps their animal up to date on shots, doesn't tie them outside day and night, doesn't breed their dog unless show quality, plays with their dog, and treats them as a member of their family.

4. Faithful Daughter profile image85
    Faithful Daughterposted 6 years ago

To me a responsible dog owner or as I like to call it, pet parent, is someone who loves his or her pet as a member of their family. Someone who will not only be compassionate and loving, but will meet all their pet’s needs, that is, fresh food and water every day, exercise, keeping them clean, tick and flea free. Someone who will keep all their shots up to date, have regular vet visits (not only when they are sick). That includes dental care, which can cause major organ damage if teeth are not kept clean.

But most importantly, a responsible pet owner is someone who will not abuse, neglect, and torment their pet. Someone who will not tie down or cage an animal all their lives, and someone who will spay or neuter their pet to avoid adding to pet overpopulation that ends in the death of millions of animals every year.

Lastly, a good pet parent will not abandon their pet even when the tough gets going.

5. ShepherdLover profile image73
    ShepherdLoverposted 6 years ago

It means not only taking care of their basic needs (food, water, shelter, medical needs, grooming) but also providing them with a loving home and treating them like a member of your family, as they are.  Make sure they get plenty of exercise (physical and mental), play time and petting/affection.

6. landscapeartist profile image76
    landscapeartistposted 6 years ago

It involves feeding, loving, and caring for your dog.  Ensuring that they are healthy and happy, exercised daily, watered, petted, and that they are safe from any dangers.  And, so much more....

7. profile image0
    The Writers Dogposted 6 years ago

Or, in the case of my Lab, healthy, happy and exorcised!

8. jandee profile image58
    jandeeposted 5 years ago

I think it is obviously correct that we do all the things to keep our pet healthy and well and totally loved.

I think other things are equally important such as ensuring that we don't 'push' it in expecting shop owners to put up with us taking our dog in their shop.

Making sure our Dog is capable of behaving in the public areas and is not a nuisance to others. if not sure then use your lead

if it is a barker then don't allow it to disturb others for long periods.

Always clean up.

The most important though ,although I have placed it last so as it will hopefully be remembered is to always give your Dog plenty of respect and then you will get it back.