How can Pet Owners Be More Environmentally Friendly?

1. Linda Bliss profile image92
    Linda Blissposted 6 years ago

How can Pet Owners Be More Environmentally Friendly?

We are all getting better at choosing green products for ourselves, but how can pet owners become more environmentally friendly in their daily lives and when it comes to choosing pet foods and other pet related products? Are there any particular products or activities we should avoid or do more of?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6368299_f260.jpg

2. William R. Wilson profile image61
    William R. Wilsonposted 6 years ago

One thing that always bugs me is the impact of pets on wildlife.  Taking dogs into wilderness areas can disrupt wildlife in a lot of ways.  Wild animals will react to the predator scent of a dog by hiding and changing their routine - this might keep them from getting the food or water they need, or keep them from approaching their home, tending to their young, etc.  I know dog owners want to take their pets everywhere they go but there are some places where domesticated dogs just don't belong. 

As for cats, they stick closer to home, but they are voracious killers.  They can eliminate bird populations and kill migratory birds that are passing through.  I keep my cat indoors most of the time, and she's got a little bell on her collar (probably wouldn't do much good to keep her from stalking but it's something).  Since cats are completely comfortable as inside pets, probably the best thing is to keep them inside (I'm not a fan of declawing).

working