How do you train a deaf dog?

1. Linda Bliss profile image93
    Linda Blissposted 6 years ago

How do you train a deaf dog?

2. profile image0
    DoItForHerposted 6 years ago

Yell really loud!

Alright. Stupid joke. I train deaf dogs the exact same way I can train a hearing dog. Clearly verbal commands are out, so hand signals are the way to go. Hand signals are quite effective for both hearing and deaf; it is simply a different way to communicate.

Make a priority out of training your dog to pay attention to you. This is important for any dog, but most people neglect this part of training.

If you like clicker training, a flashlight would be a good substitute.

The idea of being careful when you approach the dog so you don't scare it is a common myth. You treat the dog the like you would treat any dog. You wouldn't sneak up on a hearing dog and yell at it, so don't sneak up on a deaf dog and surprise it by waking it up with your eyes wide and inches from its face. You don't have to walk on eggshells and make a big deal out of going up to a deaf dog that doesn't see you right away.

If you make a big deal out of it, it will become a big deal. If you don't make a big deal out of it, you will be fine.

3. BizGenGirl profile image89
    BizGenGirlposted 6 years ago

Sign language works the best. You would do it in the same way that you would train a dog vocally, except you speak your commands with your hands and various gestures. Dogs are incredibly smart, and being deaf rarely stops a dog from keeping that ability. In fact, I've known several dogs that were exceptionally well trained because they made up for their lack of hearing by paying specific attention to their humans facial expressions. They were so good, that their human could make the smallest facial movement and the dog would know exactly what needed to be done. Pretty cool if ya ask me. smile

working