jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Have you considered purchasing medical insurance for your pet?

1. Chuck profile image90
    Chuckposted 5 years ago

Have you considered purchasing medical insurance for your pet?

Pets now days are becoming more like family to many people and, as a result people are seeking better medical care, which can be expensive, for their pets.  Many companies are now offering pet medical insurance plans designed to cover the cost of expensive veterinary care when needed.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/2592918_f260.jpg

2. MazioCreate profile image71
    MazioCreateposted 5 years ago

Yes Chuck, I purchased health insurance for both dogs when they were puppies.  At the time the policy cost for both girls was $56 (AUS) a month.  Well how times change. Now that they are 9 and 10 years old the cost of policies seem to have grown exponentially. It is now cose to $160 (AUS) a month.  Also on reading the finest of the fine print, I now have to cover close to 55% of all costs.  With pet insurance policies in Australia, unless some have changed recently, don't cover yearly vaccinations or the consultation fee. Okay, I would be getting some money back, however, if I had banked the same amount I pay for the policies each month I would be ahead on vet costs.

3. Dragonrain profile image86
    Dragonrainposted 5 years ago

I thought about and researched pet insurance when we first got our dog 3 years ago.  In the end we decided to use the money we would have had to pay for the insurance to start a bank account for our dog.  It's in my name of course but the money that goes into it is only used for the dog's medical expenses, which so far have luckily been minimal.  After saving for 3 years plus interest, I'm confident that we'd have enough money to pay for just about any medical issue that comes up.  Plus we will continue to add to the account throughout our dogs life.

4. Sinea Pies profile image76
    Sinea Piesposted 5 years ago

Yes, I did with my previous lab, Blondie. She had diabetes. The insurance didn't seem to cover enough to make it worthwhile, though. Haven't looked into costs of policies recently. Maybe they've improved.

Closed to reply

working