jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is there a way to get cats to accept a dog, and vice versa?

1. Etherealenigma profile image81
    Etherealenigmaposted 5 years ago

Is there a way to get cats to accept a dog, and vice versa?

If the cats have never seen a dog & you were trying to adopt or rescue one, how could you build a good relationship between these animals?

2. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

Yes, gradually introduce them using a crate to contain the new animal until they are familiar with each other. Supervise closely and keep encounters brief at first. Allow the cat escape routes. Reward the dog for good behavior around the cat - no punishment as this could backfire and the dog could associate the punishment with the cat!

3. Etherealenigma profile image81
    Etherealenigmaposted 5 years ago

Thank you. That is very informative. I recently had a dog I rescued at my house for almost 2 weeks, and I have young cats that I've raised since birth, who had never seen a dog before. They were intensely curious, but also afraid of the big gray monster. (See http://www.sandramurquhart.com/3/post/2 … ek-60.html for a pic)

Anyways, the dog was extremely friendly, and seemed to want to meet the cats...he was excited when he saw them, but in a good way, like he wanted to play with them. We kept him in our storage/laundry room, but they would sniff at the door on either side curiously. I just wondered how I'd ever introduce a dog into my family with these 4 cats that I have. We'd eventually like to get a dog. I did find the owner, btw, so the dog is back home now. Thanks for your response.

4. catgypsy profile image78
    catgypsyposted 5 years ago

I think it depends on how old they are. If it's a kitten or young cat, you have a better chance than if it's a much older cat. But as dubuquedogtrainer advised, introduce slowly, etc. She gave you great advice. Dogs and cats can form very close bonds...mine always did. So do it gradually and you'll be fine.