jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What is the difference between turtles and tortoises?

1. Myn Is Me profile image72
    Myn Is Meposted 5 years ago

What is the difference between turtles and tortoises?

2. Brandon21 profile image76
    Brandon21posted 5 years ago

In general a tortoise lives on land, has a more domed shell, and eats mostly vegetation. A turtle lives in the water, has a flatter shell, and eats more meat/insects.

3. tsadjatko profile image64
    tsadjatkoposted 5 years ago

Really is a lot of difference in respect to all aspects of any comparison, best illustrated in this link (http://www.diffen.com/difference/Tortoise_vs_Turtle).

Actually within each group there can be found various significant differences as for example, turtles include terrestrial, semi - terrestrial and aquatic groups. A few of my hub pages will provide you with an entertaining look at some species of turtles - tortoises I leave to others.

4. Chad Banks profile image70
    Chad Banksposted 5 years ago

These are all horny-shelled, four legged reptiles. The tortoise lives on land and has stubby legs. It ranges in size from the small tortoises that are kept as pets to the giant tortoises of the Galapagos Islands. Terrapins live in fresh water and tidal water and are usually found in the United States. They have slightly webbed feet.

Turtles live in the sea and their legs are like flippers. The females crawl up the sandy shore to lay their eggs. The leatherback is the largest of the turtles.