jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

What is the healthiest type of dog treats to use for training?

1. ShepherdLover profile image72
    ShepherdLoverposted 5 years ago

What is the healthiest type of dog treats to use for training?

2. iamageniuster profile image75
    iamageniusterposted 5 years ago

No idea, but dogs are carnivores and should be given meat and not a vegetarian diet.

1. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
      Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Dogs are not carnivores; they are opportunistic omnivores. They like meat and eat meat but can and do eat vegetables and fruits as well as grains.

3. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

Good question - right up my alley! The answer is, it depends, but I recommend steering clear of commercially prepared treats in general. They are more expensive and in general have more processing with more artificial colors, preservatives and other additives that can be harmful to your pet's health. I recommend natural foods such as leftover meat with the fat trimmed off, lowfat cheese, oat bran Cheerios, Natural Balance food roll, and vegetables if your dog will work for them. You can also use your dog's regular dry kibble if he'll work for it and you are not working on something very important or difficult such as recall or complex behaviors - then I use meat. Save your leftovers and cut up into pea-size pieces and stick in baggies in the freezer. Then you will have training treats ready when you need them. You can make training treats as well - look up a recipe for tuna brownies - these are usually a big hit with dogs!

4. Teylina profile image61
    Teylinaposted 5 years ago

I'm glad to see this question, and appreciate your great answer, Dubuquetrainer! My daughter's terrier actually gained weight when we had to use treats for a while, and I've never considered them either carnivores or veggies. Just figured they'd eat! Cats are definitely carnivores, but didn't put dogs in that category, though they will eat it. Again, thanks for the question and thanks Dogtrainer!

5. ButterflyBubbles profile image59
    ButterflyBubblesposted 5 years ago

The healthiest possible treat would be a natural treat.
    Chunks of meat, fruits and vegetables ( cooked or raw) work really well.
    I've trained my pit bull using carrots and strawberries as a reward - he likes them enough to do almost anything for them.
    Start introducing different things to your dog and you'll discover what inspires him to work real soon!

working