jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Can my cat catch my cold?

1. Angie Jardine profile image80
    Angie Jardineposted 5 years ago

Can my cat catch my cold?

I’m in bed with a cold and the cat has decided to hang out with me, though not sure if that is sympathy or just a vested interested in lolling about on a warm and snuggly duvet. But, here’s the thing ... I am always cuddling and kissing the top of his head (euuugh, I hear you non-cat lovers say but I am unrepentant)so I was wondering if common cold germs can cross the species divide? If so, he’s got to be banished downstairs no matter how much he sulks.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6722088_f260.jpg

2. tlmcgaa70 profile image77
    tlmcgaa70posted 5 years ago

from what i understand, cats cant catch our colds but they can get a feline cold. i recently had bronchitis/pneumonia and this was also my concern but i was told the cat was safe, which was good because like you my cats are very close to me and we kiss all the time. i think your baby is safe, and he will help you recover. get well soon.

3. peeples profile image95
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

Our vet says it's usually the other way around. We can catch their cold. That nasty yellow eye junk and sneezing they get can be spread to us. Anytime one of my kittys has ever gotten sick she always tells me to keep the kids away from them. As far as I know we can not give them our cold but then again I have never asked. Based on the logic of my vet, if we can get their cold virus then it seems like the opposite would be true as well. Sorry for my useless answer! Cute cat! smile

Angie Jardineposted 5 years agoin reply to this

All answers welcome, peoples! I’m beginning to think i might get a few ‘for and againsts’ ...
      The Toof says thanks, but he knows he’s cute. smile

4. KathyH profile image96
    KathyHposted 5 years ago

From what I understand, too, I don't think cats can catch human viruses, but there are respiratory cat viruses they can catch. There's a hub that I recently read that was pretty helpful about cat respiratory conditions, is it ok to put a link here? Try this: http://eirevet.hubpages.com/hub/cat-sneeezing-cat-flu - hope that helps!

Angie Jardineposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Kathy ... The Toof seems to have held up quite well under my illness.

Having had cats all my life I am well used to just about every ailment  they get and am usually right on the ball when they start with something. All the best ...

Closed to reply

working