jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)

reef building

1. chadder76 profile image50
    chadder76posted 9 years ago

Setting up a reef aquarium has to be one of the coolest hobbies. It probably requires slightly less attention than caring for a dog. After getting live rock setup and getting through an initial 1 month waiting period until the water conditions stabalize,adding fish and other animals is very rewarding and peaceful. check out my site. http://hubpages.com/hub/saltwaterreefaquariums

2. Mark Knowles profile image60
    Mark Knowlesposted 9 years ago

Clearly, you have never looked after a salt water aquarium. Slightly less attention than looking after a dog - LOL - If you walk the dog 10 hours a day and groom it three times a day and clip it's nails twice a week and count the calories you feed it - Maybe. smile

3. Marisa Wright profile image95
    Marisa Wrightposted 9 years ago

Tell me about it!  I manage offices for large corporations, and large fish tanks in the foyer have been all the rage for the last few years.  What a nightmare!   We have to pay a fortune to have someone come in and service them, and even then the fish die.  Having your visitors faced with an aquarium full of belly-up fish is not a good look.

We seem to have solved the problem by switching from saltwater to freshwater - the fish are less colourful, but it's much less work.

1. Mark Knowles profile image60
      Mark Knowlesposted 9 years ago in reply to this

Absolutely - fresh water fish are much more hardy than salt water. Tropical marine fish are extremely difficult to keep. The person who started this thread was just advertising his hub which was straight out taken from an article directory smile And very poor information in it.

I used to have an 800 gallon tropical marine tank and it took all my spare time to maintain it. I also had a friend who worked at the London zoo maintaining their aquarium - he showed me round backstage and the only way they keep their salt water properly filtered is to have sea water delivered twice a week from the sea smile They bring it in in a container. But it has to be fetched from several miles out because of the pollution close to the shore.

4. Betty Jo Petty profile image53
    Betty Jo Pettyposted 9 years ago

The Corals were gorgeous!

Marisa, You are always so full of surprises.  How do you find the time and energy?  And with a new marriage!

I can't even handle my small aquarium!  Betty Jo

5. Marisa Wright profile image95
    Marisa Wrightposted 9 years ago

I'm full of surprises?   What about Lissie, who turns out to be a geologist!  Who knew?

6. Betty Jo Petty profile image53

That may have sounded like I thought Marisa had the corals.

I apologize if so.  Marisa is just so talented, and busy!  bjp

7. Betty Jo Petty profile image53

A geologist!  What fun!. 

Hey, I've found a few small fossils in my lifetime, and some arrowheads!

Golly, I would have to think awhile to come up with an accomplishment. bj

8. Betty Jo Petty profile image53

I thought of three:  One, the first, with an epidural.

The Second:  a caserean, after being bed-fast for seven months.

Number three, Totally Natural.   The doctor was downstairs having his dinner.

I will try to think of a real work. bj

1. Marisa Wright profile image95
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years ago in reply to this

Betty Jo, that's enough achievement for anyone's lifetime!

working