jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How do you get rid of a stray cat humanely?

1. alipuckett profile image81
    alipuckettposted 5 years ago

How do you get rid of a stray cat humanely?

There is a stray cat that roams my neighborhood.  I like cats, but I also like the birds and bunnies in my yard, so I want the cat gone.  The other neighbors feed and encourage it so I don't feel comfortable calling the humane society.  I'm the only new neighbor, so they'll all know it was me.  I just want the cat off my property!  I don't have (or want to get) a dog, and I don't want to hurt the cat in any way.  I've been spraying the water hose whenever I see it, just to deter it away.  Any other suggestions?

2. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

You can catch the cat by putting out a trap and take him to the shelter. It is what my partner and I do when we move to a new location. We are fine with two of the strays and feed them regularly. But we wanted to get rid of the other cats. So we caught them and dropped them off.

3. Arleen Krippene profile image60
    Arleen Krippeneposted 5 years ago

Why  not talk to the neighbors who are feeding it to work out a solution since they seem to like  having it around. Putting a collar with a bell on it on the cat will keep it from catching the wildlife you like having in your yard. There are benefits to having cats in the area. They  keep the mouse population down, for example. But there are TNR groups (trap, neuter, return)  all over the country that will take an animal and release it elsewhere if not wanted where it is after they spay or neuter it.  Try the Internet for the one that is located closest to you.  Good luck.

4. afriqnet profile image53
    afriqnetposted 5 years ago

The best way to get rid of the cat Inhumanely is of course calling the relevant authorities and asking them to help you. I don't think getting a Dog would be a good idea

5. Peter Geekie profile image80
    Peter Geekieposted 5 years ago

The problem is that, not unreasonably, you are assuming the cat is stray. An adult tom cat can have a daily territory it patrols of up to 5 miles although most are only a couple of miles. Cats also can have several homes - I know of one that is a house cat in the evenings at one house, goes to another in the morning and yet another in the afternoon. This was only discovered by putting a note on its collar asking if you think this cat is yours and giving a phone number.
    I would suggest you get a proper elasticated cat collar and put a note on it, before doing anything else.
    kind regards Peter

6. Mazzy Bolero profile image78
    Mazzy Boleroposted 5 years ago

You can get stuff that puts cats off coming in your yard, a chemical with a scent they don't like.  I'm told it works.  If other people are feeding it they may be fond of it and it's nasty to surreptitiously remove it behind their backs. They may be caring people who will worry that it is lying injured somewhere.  As someone else said, it may also belong to someone - cats are often allowed to roam freely.  If it is causing a nuisance to you, discuss that with your neighbors, don't just do something which is arrogant, selfish and high-handed. People will be hostile and resentful if they suspect you had a hand in it.

working