Can dogs sense earthquakes?

1. afriqnet profile image53
    afriqnetposted 5 years ago

Can dogs sense earthquakes?

If you have had an experience about dogs and earthquakes, did your dog sense an earthquake before it occurred and what was your dog's reaction before?  I think birds do sense earthquakes but do dogs sense earthquakes ?  If you had such and experience which breed was your dog that sensed earthquake before the occurrence.

2. 34th Bomb Group profile image61
    34th Bomb Groupposted 5 years ago

Yes, I believe they can.
    In, I think, 1987 we had an earthquake.  Believe it or not Buffalo sits on a major fault line that starts up in Quebec and runs down into the Appalachians. We have a major earthquake research center at the University of Buffalo.
    I was sitting on a wooden kitchen chair eating my dinner when the dog (Mix - Beagle & Doberman) started going crazy. She was grabbing at me. I was irritated. Then I realized my bottom was sliding back and forth in the chair and some little decorative plates on the wall were swinging.
    In my opinion? Sam was trying to get me the hell out of there.

3. agilitymach profile image98
    agilitymachposted 5 years ago

In our recent earthquakes in Oklahoma, my dogs did not react before the quake hit.  I did, however, hear it myself before the shaking started.

I do believe that some dogs, cats and other animals can sense it before it happens, though.

BTW, we had an earthquake AND a tornado at the same time here in Oklahoma a year or so ago.  We now call ourselves the home of the "Quakenado." smile

working