jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Does Anyone know anything about Basset Hound Puppies or Adults

1. Entourage_007 profile image86
    Entourage_007posted 5 years ago

Does Anyone know anything about Basset Hound Puppies or Adults

Hello Everyone, I am proud to say that I have a basset hound puppy that is about 7 weeks.  I bought him from a breeder and he has had his first parvo shot, I am wondering if anyone knows anything about Basset Hound Puppies at this age.  He seems to whine a lot, and his belly was swollen after I fed him the first time, I would say he is a little underdeveloped, he is the runt of the bunch, and he has small amounts of diarreah every 3 or 4 hours.  How do I relieve constipation in puppy?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

Here is all you need to know my friend.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5081662_relieve … ation.html

3. KarlawithaK profile image66
    KarlawithaKposted 5 years ago

I'd personally have him checked at the vet just to rule out any digestion issues. The most likely cause is the adjustment to a new environment, especially if you changed his food from what the breeder fed.

The whining can be from discomfort, or just insecurity. Try to notice when he's doing it and under which circumstances, that should give you a clue.

As far as a swollen belly, you can try worming him. Parasites cause all kinds of nasty digestion problems in pups and worming is easily done.

Good luck with your new pup!

4. DrMark1961 profile image100
    DrMark1961posted 5 years ago

Congratulations on your new puppy! Why do you think he is constipated? Is he straining? You did not mention it, only the loose stools. You should take a stool sample in to your vet´s office and have him checked for toxocara (roundworms) and coccidia. That is a much more likely problem than constipation, especially in a 7 week old puppy. The breeder may have dewormed him already but if he has coccidia that will need to be treated separately. The type of answers you will get from the ehow articles (drink more water, encourage exercise) are not going to hurt your puppy but they are not going to address your problem if there is something else involved.

working