jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What Are The Best Breeds Of Dogs If You Have Kids?

1. PhoenixV profile image79
    PhoenixVposted 5 years ago

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

In my experience, Dachshunds, Chihuahuas, and Labs are great with kids.

3. agilitymach profile image98
    agilitymachposted 5 years ago

That depends on the age of the children.  Small dogs can be easily hurt by small children.  Regardless, no dog should be left unattended around younger children - ever.

A scary story: An extremely friendly family's German Shepherd attacked a child in the face.  I cannot remember if it killed the child or not.  A necropsy (autopsy on a dog) showed the child had pushed an ink pen into the dog's ear.  I don't know if this is true, but the idea certainly is.  A young child cannot understand that hurting a dog could cause it to react.

So no matter the breed, if the children are young, it should never be left alone with the kids.

BUT, IMO, unless you need a "bred for purpose" dog, go to the shelter and save a life!!  A bred for purpose dog is one that you get because you have a need for the specific purpose that dog is bred to do.  For instance, I have Shelties because I do dog agility.  They are good at it, and the Sheltie fits my lifestyle.  If I wanted to herd livestock, I might get a border collie, sheltie, or other herding dog.  If I wanted to do field work, i might get a Golden.  BUT if I wanted a family dog, I'd adopt a dog from a shelter. smile

4. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Dachsunds and Shelties are fantastic with children. Dachsunds protect and will never back down. Shelties group everyone together and are very loving.

5. profile image0
    DoItForHerposted 5 years ago

Huskies are known for their family affection, but they are a busy dog that can dig and chew. They need to be engaged a lot as they have a higher drive than average. smile

working