Is it fair to ban certain breeds of dogs that the local governments deem as too

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 8 years ago

Is it fair to ban certain breeds of dogs that the local governments deem as too dangerous to own?

All of us have heard of certain dogs breeds that have a reputation for attacking people.
    Certain breeds of dogs have been outlawed in some communities due to some dangerous behaviors.
    This practice has been criticized by the Humane Society and the ASPCA as unfair and inaccurate.
    Do you have these laws in your town and do you think its fair?

2. Nicole Grizzle profile image76
    Nicole Grizzleposted 8 years ago

I think a while back there was talk of banning pitbulls in my town. It never was passed, but the fact that there was an actual discussion is pretty sad to me.

Is it true that some dogs are more violent than others? Yes, in the same way that some dogs are more energetic. Some breeds tend to have more violent tendencies than others. This is nature.

Then, there are the owners, who are in charge of taking care of these dogs. Whether they abuse their dogs, spoil them, neglect their dogs or cherish them is the OWNER'S choice, and will affect the dog. This is nurture.

In the nature vs nurture debate, I believe that how the owner treats the dog is more important than the dog's natural personality. It's not fair to punish the dog for what the owner is doing.

Stacie Lposted 8 years agoin reply to this

No it is not fair to treat the dog for what the owner is doing or not doing; such as properly supervise and train the animal.

3. SmartAndFun profile image93
    SmartAndFunposted 8 years ago

I don't think it is fair, but it is a tough question. Some people seem to "need" the government to manage their every move in order to do the right thing, while others make smart choices on their own.

Here's a case that happened in my part of the world just about ten days ago. A baby was killed, apparently unprovoked, by a pit bull that was a family pet. According to TV reports, the pit bull was pampered and beloved, not mistreated or trained to fight. The baby was only ten weeks old -- too young to walk or even crawl in the dog's direction. http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2015/04/20/infa … in-dallas/

So no, I don't think it is fair to ban pit bulls, but it also was not fair to to that innocent baby to allow foolish parents to keep a pit bull in their home with a baby, and leave the two creatures unattended. I would never keep a pit bull in my home if I had small children. I know there are plenty of cases where pits are great and cause no problems with children or other people, but personally I'm not willing to take that risk.

It seems like pit bulls are so often in the news. Is it because it is more newsworthy when a pt bull attacks, so stories involving other breeds tend to go unreported? I just don't know.

I think people are responsible for their dogs behavior.
      The animals are subject to their environment.

4. Redfire profile image59
    Redfireposted 8 years ago

I think banning certain breeds of dogs is not needed and I do not think it is fair. I do think however that if you want to own certain breeds of dogs that you need to receive training or take some kind of class. I noticed that most people who own dangerous breeds are careless and often let their dogs walk around with no leash.

yes ,certain people do tend to have certain breeds.

5. lisavollrath profile image94
    lisavollrathposted 8 years ago

There is no such thing as a dangerous domesticated dog breed. All dogs can be reared and trained to be docile and friendly. The problem is that not all owners take the time to raise and train dogs who are able to coexist with humans.

Pit bulls, in times past, were thought to be the ideal dogs to have around children, because they're gentle and loving, and protective of their humans. People are afraid of them now because bad owners have either not trained them, or trained them to be aggressive or fighters.

The problem isn't the dog. It's the owner.

I agree that some dogs have not been properly trained and have turned them into vicious pests.

6. quildon profile image72
    quildonposted 8 years ago

A child was attacked and severely wounded by a pit bull recently in  a city close to where I live. I don't know if the child survived, but the child's mother and the dog's owner had some difficulty getting the dog off the child. Some people are scared of pit bulls, while others adore them. As a dog lover and someone who has owned a lot of dogs, I don't think they should be banned, but the city should enforce some kind of training for these dogs and their owners.

I like the idea of training for certain dogs and their owners.That may cut down on the perceived danger of some breeds.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)