How do you discipline your pet? Voice tone, by hand, shock collar, or reward sys

1. Charlu profile image82
    Charluposted 5 years ago

How do you discipline your pet? Voice tone, by hand, shock collar, or reward system, and why?.

People tend to disagree about pet discipline as much as they do child discipline.  How do you discipline your pet when they've done something that is a big no, no?  Do some people go to far?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7227988_f260.jpg

2. cat on a soapbox profile image97
    cat on a soapboxposted 5 years ago

I discipline my pets with voice, eye contact, and body language.  Positive reinforcement really helps w/ training as does substitution with appropriate things/places when they are chewing, potty-training, etc. They WANT to please us, so we need to show them the correct way w/ love and reinforcement.

3. mikejhca profile image92
    mikejhcaposted 5 years ago

I mostly use a reward system.  When he is good he gets attention and sometimes treats.  When he is bad he is ignored, tied up or put in a room by himself.  However a lot of the time when he is bad it is not his fault.  Sometimes a person teaches him to do something that is bad or he does not get enough exercise and acts out because he is hyper.  It does not take much to teach him bad behavior like begging for food because someone fed him food during supper the previous day.  I don't punish him when it is not his fault.

When he was young he attacked us when we took him for walks.  I soon figured out that the best way to deal with behavior like that was to tie him up to a tree and get out of his range.  Now I find hugging him calms him down and prevents him from biting me.  He still gets hyper and attacks me once in a while.

Lots of people go to far when disciplining their dog.  I actually did try being physical with my dog to stop him from attacking me but it would just cause him to play rougher.  While he was bruising me and ripping my clothes in his mind he was playing.  He is a big dog.  I taught him some different games and found ways to calm him down.

working