What Breed Of Dogs Need To Stay Outside In The Cold?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Lady Guinevere profile image67
    Lady Guinevereposted 11 years ago

What Breed Of Dogs Need To Stay Outside In The Cold?

There has been lots of messages going on on FB about bringing your animals in when it gets too cold.  I don't think this is totally correct.  They are not people and some need to stay out in the cold. There is a condition that some dogs get when they are cooped up in a hot house with dry conditions called Hot Spot.  What breeds would be OK to stay out in the weather, providing they have shelter, food and water?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

Siberian Huskies, Alaskan Huskies, Malamutes, etc. All sled dogs actually prefer the cold. Even at 20 below in Alaska, they keep their sled dogs outside. They were bred this way. smile

3. melfina profile image80
    melfinaposted 11 years ago

I don't think any dog should be cooped up inside or left outside for extended periods of time.  They need a balance based on what kind of dog they are.  My mini dachshund spends more time inside during the winter, especially since the snow bothers her low-to-the-ground belly.  My Alaskan malamute spends more time outside, since he loves the snow and the cold weather.  However, even he can suffer from being in the cold for too long.  It gets to about 20 below here, and I would never leave him outside all night, even if he is a sled dog.  Being outside in the cold for too long gives him cracked paws and dry skin.

Lady Guinevereposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Cracked paws are not caused by cold weather.  Here is some help for you: http://www.helium.com/items/1435815-cra … treatments

4. DrMark1961 profile image97
    DrMark1961posted 11 years ago

I have read some of those incorrect messages on FB (like "When is it okay to leave your dog out-NEVER") and they are incorrect. It is cruel to make some dogs come in. Besides the sled dogs mentioned by Jeff, some livestock guard dogs (like the Great Pyrenees and Komondor) would be uncomfortable in the house.
    Dogs are not built like we are. Owners need to remember that.

I got a bigger list when I posted this to FB:  Alaskan Malamute, Samoyed, Siberian Husky, Laika, Newfoundland, Greenland, Norwegian Buhund, Swedish Lapphund, and the Pyrenean Mountain dog. The top dogs of arctic cold weather. Probably many others tha

2. DrMark1961 profile image97
      DrMark1961posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Are you just looking for a list? Add the Moroccan kelb rihali, the Caucasian Ovrchka, the Romanian Shepherd, the Hungarian Kuvasz, the Saint Bernard, the Tibetan Mastiff, the Chow chow, Akita Inu, Bernese Mountain Dog, etc, etc, etc.

3. Lady Guinevere profile image67

DrMark, yes.  I am tired of all these posts on FB that tell you to bring your dogs in and all those photos of dogs in teh middle of the street.  ! lady told me her dogs paws get cracked and skin dry.  People don't know about dog breeds or their fur.

5. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

Just because a dog can handle cold doesn't mean it should have to. Plenty of dogs have the ability to withstand cold temps. However when someone buys a pet it becomes a PET, DOMESTIC, and FAMILY. Does that mean it should never step foot outside? No but it does mean it shouldn't be left tied to a chain in freezing weather while it's owner sleeps comfortable in a warm house. Dogs that are meant for cold weather die every year from being left out in it. I personally know someone who left a husky tied to a tree last year during freezing temps and it died. It was an otherwise healthy 3 year old dog. Also how is that water going to stay drinkable and not frozen in freezing temps? Is the owner going to go out every 3 hours and change out the water? What counts as shelter? A 2 by 2 dog house?
    I get letting animals be animals. I even understand not wanting them inside for long periods, but if it's 20 degrees outside or snowing heavily a dog should be brought in at night.

1. DrMark1961 profile image97
      DrMark1961posted 11 years agoin reply to this

My DOMESTIC PET Siberian Husky FAMILY members would always choose to lie out in the snow and not come inside, no matter how cold. (They did not like rain, however.) Forcing them to come in the house would have been cruelty.

2. Lady Guinevere profile image67

You make me out to be some kind of Animal Abusing monter.  Where in my OP did I say without food, water or shelter.  There are Dog houses that are insulated and some that are heated and same with food and water dishes.

3. peeples profile image94
      peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I didn't make YOU. You did not clarify what type of food shelter and water. Adequate is a matter of opinion and considering the majority of people where I live think adequate is a barrel to sleep in those details matter to me. NOT YOU in particular.

6. philli profile image80
    philliposted 11 years ago

Malamute and Huskies are the first dogs that I think of. I would think that St. Benards, too (weren't they used in snowy mountains for rescue dogs?).

7. Lady Guinevere profile image67
    Lady Guinevereposted 11 years ago

Geesh people only want to read what they want to read!  Not one of you all read the last part in the last sentence:  "providing they have shelter, food and water"  I NEVER said anything about ABUSE or being TIED OUT.  Some of you make me out to be some kind of monster who condones animal abuse.

8. lanablackmoor profile image83
    lanablackmoorposted 11 years ago

Like others have mentioned already, an animal that can stay outside in cold weather, it doesn't need to. If you like it unbearably hot inside in the winter, yes, the animal will probably be more comfortable outside. But that's because the house is too hot, not that the animal *needs* the cold. Many of the "cold weather" breeds also have an intense need for social interaction with their human and animal family. Keeping them outside isn't really fair.

As an aside, our Malamute mix actually HATES the snow! He goes out for two seconds and wants to come back in right away. There's no telling if any individual dog will like being outside, and no dog wants to be alone all day.

Those dogs that are used for sledding have a great interaction with their owners, more so than the rest of dog owners.

2. lanablackmoor profile image83
      lanablackmoorposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's true, but those are working animals and have interaction with their owners on a very regular basis, as well as interaction with other dogs. A regular dog owner works, socializes, etc. and cannot be there all the time for a dog who is kept out.

3. Lady Guinevere profile image67

Then those who do not have the time to interact with a pet should not have one....period.  They should get one that fits their lifestyle.

4. lanablackmoor profile image83

Unless you plan on coming home from work and spending all your free time outside in terrible weather with your dog, I can't recommend any breed. It's easy to spend time after work with an indoor dog, but not if your dog is out in a blizzard.

5. Lady Guinevere profile image67

Then don't get that kind of dog.  What I am trying to convey here is that all dogs might not want to be indoor dogs and they should not have to be if they are not that kind of dog.  Dogs are not people.  Find the right kind of dog for your circumstan

6. lanablackmoor profile image83

While that may be true, another thing to consider is that you may be injured or fall ill and have difficulty caring for your dog and spending time with him. In that case, you might need to keep your dog in, and outdoor dogs are no joy to housetrain.

9. agilitymach profile image91
    agilitymachposted 11 years ago

One thing I have learned in my decades of dog training is that you cannot generalize all breeds.  If a husky or malamute is used to being indoors, it has acclimated to a warmer clime.  If you suddenly force it to live outdoors, then you will be putting the dog in danger.  And, any breed in any extreme needs to be brought indoors or to a warmer shelter during brutal cold spells.

Also "hot spot" isn't caused by being indoors, but by shedding and allergies.  Bringing a dog indoors will not "cause" shedding.  This is caused during the dogs regular shedding cycle that occurs regardless of being indoors or outdoors.

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/guide/hot-sp … dermatitis

Also, some northern breeds may have uncovered illnesses that will make them more susceptible to cold weather conditions, and they may need to be brought indoors.

Generalizations are very dangerous.  While some dogs do enjoy cold weather, saying that all of the breeds you mention need to be left outdoors is downright dangerous.  This would be a dog by dog decision based partly on breed, coat, climate and health.  And of course dogs should be left outside only under the condition of food, water, dog house AND tons of extra attention time with their humans.  No dog should be put outside without a minimum of a couple hours a day of one-on-one time with their people.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)