jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Have you ever felt sad when you saw zoo animals in small enclosures? Why or why

1. Express10 profile image87
    Express10posted 4 years ago

Have you ever felt sad when you saw zoo animals in small enclosures? Why or why not?

2. Melissa A Smith profile image98
    Melissa A Smithposted 4 years ago

"Small" is relative. If I see an animal in the improper enclosure, yes, it makes me sad. The reason is that the animal will live in the improper environment likely for the remainder of its life. This doesn't happen often with the zoos I've attended, which include the Bronx Zoo, Maritime Aquarium, and Leo Zoological Conservation Center. I've seen many horrible enclosures and care standards at two small nature centers I've volunteered at and pet stores. Many people do not know what a 'good enclosure' is and deem it awful unless it's acres large. But good animal care is more than just the cage size.

Express10posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I agree that good animal care is a total comprised of many parts and the size of their enclosure is one of those things.

3. Insane Mundane profile image60
    Insane Mundaneposted 4 years ago

I have never liked seeing people keep Bettas in those tiny fish bowls.  Well, some of the ones I've seen wasn't even a bowl, more like a plastic container sold as a "betta bowl."

I've seen those too. You're right, many of these hold about as much water as a coffee mug. Yep, a coffee mug.

4. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 4 years ago

I was more then sad when i went to the zoo in Toronto and saw gorillas in cages. they just sat there looking like they were in a trance. the cage seemed so confining and they seemed like they had given up trying to enjoy living. it was depressing.

I visited a certain zoo and saw a couple of elephants in an enclosure that was very small. Understanding their travel range and their intelligence, it was no wonder to me that they looked bored and despondent.

working