jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Does anyone have a cat with diabetes?

1. Sparklea profile image75
    Sparkleaposted 4 years ago

Does anyone have a cat with diabetes?

The cat is on 3 units of insulin twice a day.  He follows me all over the house meowing for food all day long.  I am so worried about him.

2. Regina Zona profile image72
    Regina Zonaposted 4 years ago

I did have a cat with diabetes and had to administer insulin twice a day as well. Once we regulated the right amount of insulin (which took a while) he lived perfectly normally and happily for another 5 years. Has your baby been on the insulin for very long? It sounds like maybe his dose needs to be adjusted. I would suggest that you contact your vet and see what they would recommend.

Good luck! And don't worry. Your cat can live just fine with this disease if you are meticulous about keeping up with the insulin.

Sparkleaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Regina thank you so much for taking time to answer this question!  I feel so much better, as we have only had Frodo on insulin a couple weeks.  I take him to the vet every Friday to have his sugar checked and his weight checked also.  God bless!

2. Regina Zona profile image72
      Regina Zonaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

No problem! Everything will be just fine! smile

3. ScarlettRose9 profile image73
    ScarlettRose9posted 3 years ago

I have a cat with diabetes. He has had it for 5 years now. Since he is a grazer, I have hunted all over for dry food that has the lowest calories & carbohydrates. And one that he will eat. I don't know about your cat, but mine is a picky eater which makes it hard for me to feed him low carb foods. I have to give mine 4 units twice a day. It is difficult to find information on what dry foods have low carbs. Ask your veterinarian for a list. Can food is much easier to find with low carbs. I use Fancy Feast. But there are now freeze dried foods made from real meat that are probably the best, next to the real thing.

Sparkleaposted 3 years agoin reply to this

ScarlettRose9 Thank you so much!  We now give Frodo 4.5 units of insulin twice a day which has FINALLY regulated him and he is doing great at this time.  We also use canned Fancy Feast.  We love our cat, but he is high maintenance...Blessings!

working