jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Have you ever adopted a dog that understands another language?

1. CraftytotheCore profile image83
    CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years ago

Have you ever adopted a dog that understands another language?

I adopted a dog a couple of years ago.  It's good thing I understood his language without having to hire a translator.  It was awesome.  He would put his head sideways ever time I said something.  He learned to speak my language since.  Has this ever happened to you?

2. Suhail and my dog profile image89
    Suhail and my dogposted 4 years ago

According to Stanley Coran's book 'How to speak dog', dogs don't recognize the language per se. They recognize the gesture and the overall feel of the command to arrive at a conclusion and then act on it.

I have noticed with my dog that I can ask him to do anything in any language and he obeys, not because he understand the specific word, but because of the overall 'feel'.

CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Oh, that's interesting!  When I said certain words he just put his head sideways.  Then I tried them in a different language and it worked.  He was found abandoned when I got him.  I have no idea who owned him before.

3. DrMark1961 profile image98
    DrMark1961posted 4 years ago

Like so many things that Stanley Coren has written about, I have to disagree. Dogs do learn specific words and language. I train in Arabic, English, Portuguese, and German, depending on the dog and the client, and dogs will often not respond to a word given in the wrong language.
    With my own dogs, I have trained my Pitbull in Arabic and my newer dog, a Havanese, in a mixture of English and German. When I yell a command at one dog I want her to know it is meant for her and not her playmate. The only command I am having trouble with is "wait", since when I call this out they both freeze. With that command I think Suhail is right, but with most others they do seem to be language specific.

CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years agoin reply to this

That's so interesting!  This dog is a pitbull.  I couldn't get him to do anything until I started speaking Spanish to him and then he listened!  big_smile

working