jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Why does my cat smell so darn good all on his own?

1. kineticpoet profile image59
    kineticpoetposted 4 years ago

Why does my cat smell so darn good all on his own?

I know of other friends who sniff their wonderful cats (not even those that are professionally groomed) is there something about their saliva? For example, dogs smell horrible... but sometimes not... I had a dog who smelled naturally like cookies once.

2. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

I think it's a combination of things. Some people will disagree with me, but I think cats keep themselves cleaner than dogs and that eliminates some of the odor. Cats are also less likely to play in the water which eliminates that wet fur smell. I always say my cats smell like baby powder and I believe that scent is a combination of the baking soda and scent crystals in the cat litter I buy. But there are times mine stink ... they might not think they do. LOL! If they clean themselves right after eating, they'll have a slight fishy smell. And occasionally they play with stinkbugs (although I can't figure out why) and then they smell like stinkbugs.

kineticpoetposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I've never smelled wet cat lol but I think you're right about the water. My litter is scentless . I'm wondering if it's maybe what I feed them? I had to laugh about the stinkbugs... yuck!

3. lisasuniquevoice profile image76
    lisasuniquevoiceposted 4 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8440070_f260.jpg

kineticpoet,
    Cats smell good because they take a lot of care when grooming themselves. In addition they smell good because we keep their litter boxes very clean.
    Lisa

I love the picture you included smile I'm not sure if it's a snowshoe - but I have a 15 week old little snowshoe, so I'm preoccupied with them at the moment. Do you have a hooded litter box?

4. CraftytotheCore profile image83
    CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years ago

That's such an interesting question!  I loved reading the answers here too.  I have two cats and come to think of it, they do always have a freshened smell.  I can tell when my cats have been hiding in my stowed away blankets because they smell like the blankets which have a really clean smell.

Ah, I love love love when my cats smell like laundry (the clean stuff, they'll lay in either though).

working