jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Does anyone else think the FDA is being unreasonable about pet treats?

1. Winter Maclen profile image72
    Winter Maclenposted 4 years ago

Does anyone else think the FDA is being unreasonable about pet treats?

The FDA recently admitted that it has traced the deaths of hundreds of pets and illness of thousands more, to chicken jerky treats sold under a variety of brands, but all sourced in China.  The FDA states that they haven't pulled the treats because, though the deaths are documented, the exact ingredient driving them, has not. An FDA spokesman recently stated that the best course of action is simply to eliminate treats from your pet's diet. Does anyone else think that is overly simplistic, unrealistic advice?

2. PegCole17 profile image94
    PegCole17posted 4 years ago

Since they can't pinpoint the contaminant or the exact source, I'm not sure what they should do other than warn the public. Do you believe they should ban all dog treats? Some manufacturers have voluntarily pulled their products off the shelf as a precaution. In the meantime, I'm thinking about baking some of my own pet treats. There are quite a few good recipes out here.

1. Winter Maclen profile image72
      Winter Maclenposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I think that they shouldn't ban all treats, but there are some commonalities in these products, dehydrated poultry meat, processes in China, that could limit the ban.

3. Winter Maclen profile image72
    Winter Maclenposted 4 years ago

I was just taken aback that a rep of the US government suggested avoiding a whole type of product because of an issue with one - so we have a reaction to one type of human drug, stop taking them all?  That seems like throwing out the baby with the bath water to me.

working