jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What do you think about Science Diet for a yellow lab?

1. Swope profile image60
    Swopeposted 4 years ago

What do you think about Science Diet for a yellow lab?

2. Bob Bamberg profile image96
    Bob Bambergposted 4 years ago

In my opinion, by today's standards, Science Diet is a low-end food, right in there with other grocery level foods, Swope.  If you indicate which formulation you were thinking about, I'll interpret the ingredient panel for you, proving that it's a low end food. 

They came out with a holistic food, but it's still not as good as the brands I'll list below.  Even Whole Dog Journal, in the current issue, which lists their accepted foods, noted that the Science Diet Holistic ingredients have changed and declined (their words) since last year's report.

I'm a part-timer for Earthborn Holistic Pet Foods, so naturally that would be my first recommendation.  But, you also can't go wrong with, in no particular order: Wellness, Canidae, Merrick, Nature's Variety, Solid Gold, Blue Buffalo, and others of that genre.  We're less expensive than just about all of them,though.

3. DrMark1961 profile image100
    DrMark1961posted 4 years ago

I would not feed the dog foods Bob mentioned to my dogs (they eat natural ingedients), but the list he provided for you is certainly a lot better than the junk they are putting in Science Diet.
    If you choose to feed a dry dog food go with his recommendations.

4. datahound profile image68
    datahoundposted 4 years ago

I agree Science Diet is not a good food for your pup.  Here is some information on how to read the label on commercial food.  I think the photo may be science diet.  Look at the first ingredients (ground yellow corn, chicken by-products...).  You should have a dog food that has meat as the first ingredient as the ingredients are listed by the most present in the food to the least present ingredients.  Most good dog foods, commercially available, do not use wheat or corn as grains but instead use grains like barley and rice.   We use Orijen for our Labs. 

http://datahound.hubpages.com/hub/How-t … ood--Label

working