jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

What do cats do with the heads of birds they have killed?

1. bethperry profile image90
    bethperryposted 4 years ago

What do cats do with the heads of birds they have killed?

Our cats often leave gifts of birds at our doorstep, and generally with the heads removed. What do they do with these heads?

2. Melissa A Smith profile image99
    Melissa A Smithposted 4 years ago

Pet cats generally eat the heads off of their prey because the brain tissue is their favorite part. They wastefully disregard the rest because they have food at home and don't need to hunt.

bethperryposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Oh my. Our cats are wined and dined like royalty, but they still catch the birds, and eat those little heads sad But hubby says they leave them at our door out of gratitude, which I reckon is a consolation, lol

3. The Examiner-1 profile image74
    The Examiner-1posted 4 years ago

I read somewhere: On small birds they seem to eat them because they are the tastiest part. On larger birds the heads are gamey and seem harder to chew.

Interesting!

4. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

I didn't know, but Melissa just taught me something new. I was going to be silly and say maybe they have a bird's head collection somewhere they've collected as trophies of their hunt. There are some stray cats around my house and I've found chipmunk heads without bodies, but never bodies without heads.

Sheila, I can still see a cat having such a trophy collection..along with the tale of how the "big" one got away! lol

5. wrytre profile image76
    wrytreposted 4 years ago

They place them on stakes in front of their hidden lair as a warning to any potential attackers.  The real question is, what are they up to in that hidden lair....

Their plans for taking over the world and stealing Austin Powers' mojo would be my guess! wink

working