jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)

Should the method of slaughtering animals 'halal' be banned in every European co

1. sangre profile image96
    sangreposted 3 years ago

Should the method of slaughtering animals 'halal' be banned in every European country?

Some European countries have already decided to ban this type of slaughtering .

2. Foodeee profile image77
    Foodeeeposted 3 years ago

I think you deem this as a cruel way to die. Most slaughter houses that do halal slaughtering will actually stun the animals first and then just do the blessing over them. So the animal never really suffers. They don't have time to wait for these animals to suffer. Production is money.  There are small shops that do the whole thing. Stay away from those.

1. enjoy life profile image77
      enjoy lifeposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Sadly the keyword in what you wrote is 'most' , and it seems that it is by choice that they stun, not required by law that all halal meat follow that practice. The practice of not stunning animals to kill them offends me and my beliefs

2. sangre profile image96
      sangreposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Hi Foodeee, ya i agree with you there. The slaughter houses are just doing their job but only the trained professionals will do it correctly. Still you think in the 21st century, there would be a slaughtering method that doesn't seem so cruel.

3. enjoy life profile image77
    enjoy lifeposted 3 years ago

I think what is wrong is when companies decide to use halal meat without telling the customers, as some have been doing in the uk on the quiet.

I don't agree personally with halal slaughter methods, and personally wish it was completely banned. That is my belief, and I have as much right to it as people who believe their food must all be halal. I understand that it is part of their religious belief, so it is not going to be completely banned.

However I should have a right to not have to have halal imposed on me. It is against my believes.

In addition to this, halal meat has to be blessed to that particular religions god, so it is not only about slaughtering methods. People of other religions should not have to eat meat blessed to a different god.

Finally, halal meat has to be prepared by people of that religion to be classed as halal. This brings discrimination into the workplace as only people of a particular religion can hold the jobs that prepare halal meat.

1. Foodeee profile image77
      Foodeeeposted 3 years agoin reply to this

very good point. Thumbs up!

2. enjoy life profile image77

Thank you Foodeee

3. sangre profile image96
      sangreposted 3 years agoin reply to this

hi enjoy life, It seems companies will do anything they want as long as they get away with it. Remember the horse meat scandal.  What we don't know won't harm us is the approach they take, regardless of the end users attitudes and beliefs.

4. enjoy life profile image77

Hi sangre. Sadly that is very true. Seems like regulating these companies doesn't work, as they always find a way around it. The halal issue is just the latest that has come to light

working