jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What strategies have you used to get your dog used to your new home?

1. midget38 profile image89
    midget38posted 3 years ago

What strategies have you used to get your dog used to your new home?

2. Susan's Rainbow profile image59
    Susan's Rainbowposted 3 years ago

Give them their own specific spot, for instance our dog(s) room is the porch.  They fell comfortable in this area and know that this is their spot.  Always give them enough love and encouragement to show them that they are welcome.
    When they make a mess or do something wrong, make sure you still scold them for this bad behavior, otherwise they won't know their boundaries.

3. Jackie Lynnley profile image89
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 3 years ago

Make sure they have their blankets and things to smell familiar and take them on walks and let them have fun. They are so much like kids if they can have fun...and we are still there for them.

4. Hankscita profile image81
    Hankscitaposted 3 years ago

We just moved a couple of weeks ago.   My Charlie is a pug, he's almost 10 years old and nearly completely blind.   Our former home was the only home he's known so I was really concerned about his adapting.

I had the opportunity to take him to the new home a few times before we moved in.   The first thing I did was show him where he could relieve himself across the street in the field prior to taking himself into the house.

Once inside I let him sniff and explore, (and run into things) as much as he wanted.   He gradually became more comfortable with each visit.   He sought out items with familiar smells, and I made sure they were available to him.   He's doing fine now.

working