This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

Besides raising the bar, what strategies do you use to keep a dog from jumping h

1. Storytellersrus profile image78
    Storytellersrusposted 6 years ago

Besides raising the bar, what strategies do you use to keep a dog from jumping his fence?

Our pup has gotten so big, he hops our split rail fence.  This means he can only be outside when I am with him, which defeats the point of a fence!  Until I can afford to add a third rail, what do you suggest I do?  Thanks!

2. Healthy Pursuits profile image89
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 6 years ago

Sometimes a dog jumps the fence purely because of boredom or the lack of exercise. Making sure the dog isn't left in the yard for hours and does get a walk every day helps.

3. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/5921206_f260.jpg

Maybe remove the fence?  Or move to an apartment?  Just kidding, I bet strict training is probably your only answer, good luck though!

4. Storytellersrus profile image78
    Storytellersrusposted 6 years ago

Healthy Pursuits, the pup gets two long walks a day!  And he is never left outside for more than 15 - 20 minutes.  I agree that he might be bored for that length of time- he is a puppy after all.  Just a very tall one.  Things are complicated because I can't really give him bones, because our other dog is very very allergic.  It does occur to me, however, that I might give him bones and put him outside in the yard alone to chew it.  Although I do recall him first jumping into the neighbor's yard to keep his bone from the second dog.  You did make me think, though. 

Any other ideas?  Strict training, like what, kimberlyslyrics?  I started him in puppy school but ran out of money before I could re-enroll him.  I do plan to put him in again... What training have you used that helps keep a dog inside a fence? 

Thanks, guys!!!

5. ringlawncare profile image63
    ringlawncareposted 6 years ago

Well if you have the time, since he is out only 15 or 20 minutes at a time, maybe decrease the time and spend it teaching him not to jump. Keep him on a leash at first and literally walk around the yard monitoring him and tell him "NO" when he attempts to jump. Sooner or later he will give up on the idea and find something else to do like, eat your favorite shoes. haha

6. Marc Babineau profile image74
    Marc Babineauposted 6 years ago

Okay, you need some serious answers, training takes too long for a big bowser of a pup!

1) can you afford some chicken wire? It is cross-threaded fencing, very thin, and would do the job nicely. It may not be very aesthetic, but for the dog's purpose he will see it and treat it as a high fence.

2) the invisible perimeter electronic fence? your dog gets a little electronic zap through his collar if he goes over the boundary line (a foot your side of the fence) - after a week he would stay away from the fence.

3) line your fence with cayenne pepper, again a foot inside your fence line

4) get a dog run line - it's like a clothes line, has a trolley-like attachment that makes for easy running for your dog - attach the line at your house and end it at the furthest point from there (needs to be a pole or something at least 8 feet high)

and

5) this will take one day - keep walking him to the fence, not on a leash but holding his collar. About 1 foot before the fence, make him stop and sit, give him a treat, rub his head and belly, and give him lots of love and affection (overdo it!) - then walk him back to the door, make him sit, give treat and overdone loving. Repeat 50 times over a day. The next day, cut out the cookies, the next day slow down a bit on the affection, and so on... cheap, easy and quick!

I've trained pit bulls, golden retrievers and beagles.

good luck,,,

7. profile image0
    oldandwiseposted 6 years ago

Everytime he nears the fence to jump, throw a large empty box in front of him and command "No". He will back up and eventually stop the jumping.

8. profile image47
    lmr6500posted 6 years ago

Go to your local sports/hunting store and purchase a bottle of skunk urine. It will cost about $5.00. And yes it stinks but your dog will stay away from what ever you sprinkle it on. Just like squirrels don't like fox urine.

9. profile image54
    saphires123posted 6 years ago

Get a bunch of empty food cans, put coins or screws and nuts and bolts in them - of course you need to cover them so they don't fall out,  and tie them to the fence.  Most dogs need to "touch" the fence as they go over.  When they hit the fence and here all that noise, it usually scares them.  You can also be out there to do it yourself until he gets the idea. Again, have a couple of empty cans with noisy stuff in them.  Every time your dog goes to jump the fence, throw the cans down on the ground near him and sharply say no.  They usually get the idea pretty quickly.  You can use this method pretty much for anything you don't want the dog to do.

10. goego profile image80
    goegoposted 6 years ago

force... a quick sidekick to the ribs should take the wind outta him... if he's got any mouth left on him a snapping back-hand to the chops should get him to listen, kidding... maybe a lead vest to weight him down... he might need more fiber

11. alexadry profile image92
    alexadryposted 6 years ago

Is your dog an escape artist with a "houdini" reputation? Learn how to stop fence jumping in dogs and how an effective new product on the market may help your problem. read more

working