jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What is the difference between "frog" and "toad"?

1. m0rd0r profile image75
    m0rd0rposted 3 years ago

What is the difference between "frog" and "toad"?

I stumbled upon a hub that was speaking about amphibians and it mentioned common toad and common frog as different species.

2. Link10103 profile image75
    Link10103posted 3 years ago

Without me googling it? I think toads are generally bigger and somewhat uglier than frogs.

Aside from that, no idea. If I happen to see a jumping amphibian on the sidewalk, there is a 99% chance I will call it a frog regardless of what it actually is.

3. alison monroe profile image
    alison monroeposted 3 years ago

Wikipedia says, "Members of this order [Anura] with smooth skins are commonly referred to as frogs, while those with warty skins are known as toads. The difference is not a formal one taxonomically and there are numerous exceptions to this rule."

4. RockyMountainMom profile image80
    RockyMountainMomposted 3 years ago

A few examples I can give are based on specific "typical" frogs and "typical" toads in my area.  Good ones for my area are spotted frog and boreal toad (you can google both to see photos for a sense of the basic differences---like skin texture).
    Spotted frogs lay clusters of eggs, where as boreal toads lay long strings of eggs.  Boreal toads are picky about where they lay their eggs and their tadpoles ball/swarm together in groups to keep warm.  They can actually raise the water temperature in their immediate area--- I have some great pictures of this I will post here when I am on my laptop instead of my phone.
    One of the coolest frogs in Montana is the tailed frog.... Very unique compared to other frogs... I can post photos and tidbits on them if you're interested...
    I think I have some frog and toad pictures in a hub-- on burdens of conservation....

5. JamesWhitaker profile image59
    JamesWhitakerposted 3 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/9184675_f260.jpg

I am interested too to know their difference and so I came to this.

Frogs lives in the water while toads lives on the land.
    Frogs lays eggs in clusters while toad, in a chain.
    Frogs have have long legs, toad have short
    Frog prefers to jump, toads likes to walk and have small hops

working