jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (11 posts)

What is the difference between poem and rhyme?

1. horizonz profile image57
    horizonzposted 6 years ago

What is the difference between poem and rhyme?

2. nu-flowerchild profile image58
    nu-flowerchildposted 6 years ago

There is no difference. Rhyme is poetry. It's a part of the genre.

3. profile image0
    Ali-Mostofizadehposted 6 years ago

Rhymes and poems are both "Poetry". They are same in the view of poetry. In my opinion, there is only a tinny difference here!

Actually, rhyme is a poem. but I think not all the poems can be considered as "rhymes". In other words, "poem" is further generalized definition of all the genres of poetry including rhymes.
    I think, poems are deeper than rhymes. More feeling and emotional, much information, more concepts to release.
    On the other hand, rhymes, in my memory, are simple rhythmical pieces; skin-deep! Read this rhyme:

One, two, that is my shoe!
    Three, four, open the door!
    Five, six, pick up sticks.........

Not all the rhymes are simple or childish like this, but the rhythm sounds perfect for singing or telling children some stories or teaching something!

4. profile image0
    Tanmoy Acharyaposted 6 years ago

The difference between poem and rhyme is just as similar as the difference between science and chemistry.

There is no comparison; it's illogical to compare a part to the whole.

By the way, a rhyme is a poem which has meter: that is, it has the repetition of the same or similar sounds at the end of two or more words most often at the ends of lines.

Meter is just another fancy tool in the toolbox of a poet. It's not mandatory to have them pasted on every poem. Poetry is a product of the unconscious mind, and is most effective when a poet just places that on a paper, without much pedantic modifications from his part. It comes with it's own set of rhythm, and verbal music.

Hope this was helpful smile

1. The Heurist profile image87
      The Heuristposted 13 months agoin reply to this

A poem doesn't have to rhyme and a rhyme isn't necessarily a poem.
      A rhyme does have to rhyme, though.

My own interpretation is that a poem usually has a message, a point or a feeling. A rhyme can be much looser and in some ways more frivolous I g

5. goego profile image80
    goegoposted 2 years ago

a poem is 4, and rhyme has five?   

★★★★                 ★★★★★

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

6. JBeadle profile image81
    JBeadleposted 2 years ago

I don't know what the difference is but I know many of my poems don't rhyme and the ones that rhyme more are usually songs.

7. Thefrustratedwrit profile image55
    Thefrustratedwritposted 18 months ago

I just remember a kind of poem that is called: FREE VERSE.

8. MarySEW profile image83
    MarySEWposted 15 months ago

What I have come to understand is that a poem and rhyme are both of the same catagory, but one is more specific than the other. Think of it like this: a rectangle is still a square, but more specifically a rectangle; ryhme is still poem but more specifically ryhme.

9. WannaB Writer profile image92
    WannaB Writerposted 15 months ago

I wrote an entire blog post on this. It might have even been a Hub first. It's true that not every poem rhymes, but I don't believe that all rhymes are poetry. Poetry uses many different poetic devices -- rhythm, rhyme, alliteration, assonance, figurative language, etc. to make something pleasing to the ear to which the emotions will respond in some way. Verse is pleasing to the ear and the sounds are fun to write and hear, but some verses leave the emotions untouched. That is my opinion.

Professionals disagree on the meaning of poetry. Some agree with me; some don't. I guess poetry is whatever the writter deems it to be.

10. VoiceOfCreation profile image73
    VoiceOfCreationposted 7 months ago

Rhymes are a tool that can be used in any form of writing. A lot of what makes poetry, "poetry" is how it is formatted. To be honest, I used to have a really strict definition for what I thought poetry should be, but it seems like anything with line breaks can be considered "poetry" these days. I guess what I am trying to say is that in a world where we have adopted "free-verse," almost anything goes. I mean, they even have this rad melding of the two extremes called "Prose Poetry" where you write things in a "flowery" poetic manner, but instead of line breaks and stanzas, you write in paragraph form.

I do, however, believe that just because something contains line breaks, it doesn't mean it's poetry.

To be honest, I think it's up for interpretation, though, given that the rules have changed so much over the years.