jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

Were there ever monkeys in North America?

1. Lady Guinevere profile image61
    Lady Guinevereposted 3 years ago

Were there ever monkeys in North America?

I have seen that the monkey has been on almost every other continent on Earth.  Were there ever monkeys on the Northern part of the continent that we now have Canada and North America?

2. junkseller profile image84
    junksellerposted 3 years ago

There were monkeys a long time ago (tens of millions of years ago) but the climate was much warmer (palm trees in Alaska). The climate then cooled significantly and most went extinct. The only survivors were monkeys in Central America we now call New World Monkeys. They were adapted to living in trees in warm, wet climates and so their range never pushed beyond Mexico.

Still seems a bit surprising to me that as smart as they are they didn't eventually work their way north.

Lady Guinevereposted 3 years agoin reply to this

They are.  They are in Rusia and in China and Mongolia, so the temps are not what made them move or not come to this part of the world.  What about the Land Bridge from Alaska to China?

2. junkseller profile image84
      junksellerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I don't think it was just temperature. The strip of land across the top of Mexico and into Texas, Arizona, etc. is desert/scrubland and very dry. Most monkeys live in tropical or sub-tropical regions.

3. EuroCafeAuLait profile image83
    EuroCafeAuLaitposted 3 years ago

As far as I know, there were none. The only notable exception may be my children....

LOL! I love it!

4. The Examiner-1 profile image74
    The Examiner-1posted 3 years ago

There were no native monkeys. Any others were imported.

Doesn't that sound strange to you as it does to me.  I wonder why. Thanks for answering my question too.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image74
      The Examiner-1posted 3 years agoin reply to this

I guess that it does, perhaps it depends on their background. Like the climate of North America. They are usually in warm climates I believe.

working