jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Are you an animal lover, would you go hungry to feed your pet?

1. iggy7117 profile image80
    iggy7117posted 2 years ago

Are you an animal lover, would you go hungry to feed your pet?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12558692_f260.jpg

2. Dressage Husband profile image80
    Dressage Husbandposted 2 years ago

We already do! LOL We have four horses a dog and a cat.

3. Blond Logic profile image97
    Blond Logicposted 2 years ago

I never would do that, although I am sure others would. I think people have elevated pets to a status of children and I find this very worrying.
    If a person has to go hungry to feed their animals, the animals should go, in my opinion.

4. Merrin LeClair profile image61
    Merrin LeClairposted 2 years ago

If you have a pet you are completely responsible for that animals well being. Keeping an animal if you are unable/unwilling to take care of it is selfish and cruel.

I would make sure they were taken care of until I could find them a new home.

5. aliasis profile image92
    aliasisposted 2 years ago

I don't particularly think that people who can't afford to take care of themselves ought to be having pets at all. Pets deserve homes where they have access to shelter, food, medical care, and such. Of course, this is an ideal world, and I suppose it's a little different if the only alternative is putting your pet on the streets, which would really be the worst thing.

I'm also vegetarian, and my cat is obviously not, so it's not really a simple matter of giving him the food I otherwise would eat. If there was nowhere for me to rehome my cat - have friends, family, even a shelter care for him as I can not, then yeah, I'd probably spend less money on my own food to take care of my cat. But honestly if I were literally living on the streets and couldn't get enough spare change together for my own food, then the pet most likely wouldn't want to stick around with me anyway.

6. Jackie Lynnley profile image88
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 2 years ago

If you are saying in case something happened in our economy that put us on strict rations (which it very well could!) then of course I would not starve but I would share all I could with my pet. But then  I just have a tiny kitty; if I had a dog and especially a large one that would need much more to eat I would try to find that animal a home that could keep it alive. I would use common sense; I would not starve to feed it. I mean after I have starved to death; how could it eat then?

working